Trojann volleyball season recap

by Anthony Robinson

The 2011 Trojann volleyball team came into the season looking to build off a second round regional loss a year ago. Under the direction of first year head coach Chris Jahnke, the Trojanns struggled all season to find total team continuity. The Trojanns had more valleys than peaks.

Atlantic was led by six seniors, including Paige Kennon, ” We didn’t go after the season as an approach (that) we could actually be a good team and get stuff done. We were more laid back.” Kennon commented that the team just let the season play out from game to game.

The Trojanns finished with a six wins and 23 losses. The black-and-gold went 1-8 in conference for a tie of ninth place in the Hawkeye 10.

Glenwood ended the Trojanns’ season with a sweep at the AHS gym in the first round of regional action.

The Trojanns started the season on the road with a clean sweep of the Creston Panthers, giving the girls a bit of hope to start the season. The first home match of the season was a different story, as the Cardinals from Clarinda defeated the Trojanns, three games to none.

After less than stellar performances at the annual Trojann Tourney (2-3) and the Red Oak tournament (1-4) a week later, the Trojanns hit one of their peaks of the season at a tournament in Nevada.

After losing a tough five game match to Shenandoah only two days before the early wake-up on Saturday, the Trojanns won two out of three games against stiff competition in the Round-Robin portion of the Nevada tourney.  Atlantic would get beat in the semi-final round and then get beat in the consolation game.

“We feel that it was a peak in our season because with everything that happened at that tournament it made us really come together as a team and realize that you have to work with everything you have because you might not always have all the neccessities that you need,” senior caption Taylor Barry said.

The Trojanns were on the wrong side of momentum swings and rallies the weeks following the Nevada tourney. They lost their final 11 matches. The Trojanns managed to win only three games in all 11 matches.

“The season didn’t go as well as many people expected or wanted it to,” Kennon commented.