Senior Night/Pink Out ends with a Trojann loss

by Anthony Robinson

After struggling early in game one, the Trojanns played from behind in the final regular season match of the season. The girls in brand new pink uniforms found some rhythm and had leads in both games two and three, but Denison found ways to spoil the last home game in the career of six AHS seniors. The Monarchs defeated the Trojanns 16-25, 25-27, and 26-28.

Senior Paige Kennon commented about the first game. “In the locker room and during warm-ups we were all pumped up; we were all ready to go. I felt like we were more prepared for this game than we have for any other game, but it just seemed like we lacked excitement once we went out on the floor for that first serve.”

Senior Kaitlynn Walter serves during the game.

Coach Chris Jahnke agreed that the girls were prepared, but he believed the girls came out timid, in turn, not playing well in game one.

In game two, the Trojanns jumped out to an early 3-0 lead before the Monarchs challenged the home girls the rest of game. Denison took the lead 24-23, one point away from ending the second game. Atlantic got the point, forcing the game past the 25-point mark. The Monarchs closed out game two 27-25, forcing the match into a decisive game three.

Game three was the most competitive game of the night. The two teams were tied 10 times throughout the final game. The Trojanns led 9-4, and held the close lead until Denison tied the game at 19.  Denison and Atlantic were neck-and-neck the entire way home, before the Monarchs took game three.

“We came together and said this is our last regular season game, we haven’t been winning much this season anyway, and we didn’t want to go out looking like we did in the first game,” Kennon said.

Junior Abby Johnson finishes a nice dig for the Trojanns.

The Trojanns host the Glenwood Rams in the first round of regional play on Monday.

Kennon says the main goal for the game against Glenwood is “just going out and having that excitement, that passion that we have yet to find this season. Coach always says we are right on the edge; we just need that one more hit, one more dig, one more serve to get us over the edge, and we hope to find that on Monday.”