Shenandoah defeats Trojanns in five

by Anthony Robinson

The Atlantic Trojann volleyball team hosted the Shenandoah Fillies Tuesday, September 20. The Fillies defeated the Trojanns in five games, three games to two.

Senior Katie Groves serves for the Trojanns.

In game one the Trojanns started out slow, trailing by as many as eight after the first 26 points. After strong serving by junior Mackenzie Holmes and senior Katie Groves the Trojanns tied the game at 20. After trading points through 22, the Trojanns ended the game on a 3-0 run to win 25-22.

“I’m glad we trusted ourselves to pull ourselves back up, but we shouldn’t have been down in the first place,” s enior Taylor Barry noted.

After a strong end to game one, the Trojanns started lethargically in game two. Shenandoah jumped out to a 6-0 start. The Trojanns made a comeback closing the deficit to two (24-22), before the Fillies ended the game, 25-22.

“We just didn’t really have the momentum we needed tonight. It didn’t go well,” head coach Chris Jahnke said after the match.

Game three was the most competitive game of the match. Atlantic and Shenandoah traded points till the 17 point mark when the Trojanns went on a 6-0 run and never looked back, going on to a 25-22 win. The Trojanns led two games to one after the first three games.

Junior Shelby Worth prepares to serve the ball.

Shenandoah had all the momentum the entirety of  game three. The Fillies led by 14 at one point and ended up beating the Trojanns 25-17.

Atlantic got off to their first strong start of the night in game five before giving up the lead and later losing 15-12.

“We have to learn to play our style. We played to the tempo of our opponent. We played into their style inside of being aggressive and playing our game,” Jahnke said.

The Trojanns travel to Nevada for a tournament this weekend.

Seniors Nora Walker and Taylor Barry both agreed that the girls need to improve their attitudes before the tournament Saturday. “It all comes back to our attitudes. We just need to relax and have more fun together,” Walker said.