Trojanns unable to catch Cardinals in first home match

by Anthony Robinson

The Atlantic Trojann volleyball team hosted the Clarinda Cardinals Tuesday, Sept. 6, for the first home match of the season. The Trojanns got off to an early start leading 7-2 in game one but were unable to win any games. The Cards swept the home ladies 25-19, 25-16, and 25-18.

“From the start of the match the kids seemed to be pretty tense. We didn’t play real relaxed and we didn’t play within our system,” head coach Chris Jahnke said, “[After the first few points] we unable to get into our style of play.”

After the Trojanns took any early 7-2 lead, Clarinda called a timeout to re-group. After the break, the Cardinals kept pace with the Trojanns, tying the game at 15 and 17 before closing out the game on an 8-2 run.

“After game one [the momentum] was taken. We talked about it during every timeout,” Jahnke commented.

After game one the Trojanns were unable to get a break. In game two, the Cards took a 7-2 lead before the Trojanns got back within a point at 7-8, but after a timeout the Cardinals opened up a 17-10 lead. The Cards did not let up, cruising to a 25-16 win.

The Trojanns struggled to do anything in the third game, falling 25-18.

The loss drops the Trojanns to 1-1 this season. Atlantic hosts the Trojann Tournament this weekend.

“If we can’t get into our game plan and be the aggressor, we’re going to struggle,” coach Jahnke said.

“I thought everyone’s game was a little off and we didn’t play like we wanted it,” senior Katie Groves said.