Momentum shifts to wrong side for Trojans

by Anthony Robinson

Momentum has been the tale of the tape in each of the Trojans’ first two games of the season. In week one, against Denison, the Trojans were able to score on the opening drive of the game and took a lead and the momentum into halftime.  The Monarchs then found their own spark in the second half and went on to beat the Trojans 20-14. A wet Friday night contest against the Kuemper Knights was again a story of momentum shifts that ended with Kuemper defeating the Trojans 30-13.

“Championship teams, teams that win games, this is one you pull out. We have to get over the hump and be one of those teams who can finish,” head coach Tim Duff said.  

The Knights won the opening-toss to open the game and elected to receive. The Knights scored on their opening drive, taking a 7-0 lead on a 2-yard quarterback sneak. The Knights managed to pick apart the Trojan defense on the ground during their four-minute drive.

Sophomore Jacob Dvorak struggles to find open field.

“The start of the game really put us back,” Duff said.

The Trojans were unable to do anything offensively in the first half. The Trojans ended the first half with 24 yards of total offense.

After a 100-yard rushing game by Jacob Dvorak in week one, the Knights were able to contain him every time he touched the ball.

As a light rain become heavy,  just before the end of the half, the Knights scored again after a 61-yard run set up a 3-yard touchdown run. The Knights led 14-0 at the break. Kuemper held all the momentum.

Senior Ethan Westering and junior Dalton Franken after a fourth down conversion.

The Trojans came out with a completely different hop in their step to start the second half. The Trojans moved down the field but were nearly stopped on fourth down in Kuemper territory before quarterback Harrison Hoegh found Ethan Westering for a first down and goal for the Trojans. Hoegh would later score on a quarterback sneak ,pulling the Trojans within seven points after a long seven-and-a-half-minute drive.  

“We thought if we could make it 14-7, it was a game we could win. We put them back on their heels a little bit, we made a few adjustments. I thought we made a few plays in the third quarter. We had opportunities,” Duff said.

On the Knights’ first possession, the Trojans seemed to have them stopped, but the Knights’ running back broke a tackle and was able to move the ball into Trojan territory. The Trojans were able to hold the Knights to only a field goal. At the end of the third the Knights led the Trojans 17-7.

Junior Sam Markham makes a diving touchdown catch. 17-7.

The Trojans scored again after a diving catch in the end zone by wide-out Sam Markham. The Trojans were unable to make the extra point, leaving the game at a four-point deficit, 17-13.

The Trojans, now with all the momentum, stepped up defensively, holding the Knights to two straight three-and-outs.

On their next offensive possession the Trojans converted  fourth down near mid-field, before disaster struck all hopes of a Trojans win.

Junior quarterback Harrison Hoegh tries to pitch the ball to junior running back Gunnar Blum.

The referees tried to keep the balls dry during the wet September night, but the ball was just too slippery for Hoegh on one particular play. After Hoegh had troubles finding the handle of junior Jordan Mauk’s snap, the Trojan junior tried to take the ball outside and gain a few yards for the Trojans. As Hoegh was about to be wrapped up at the line of scrimmage, the Trojans’ play-caller tried to pitch the ball to tailback Gunnar Blum. The ball was out-of-reach and fell to the turf.

Senior linebacker Will Klocke picked up the ball for the Knights and returned the fumble 61 yards for the touchdown, putting the Knights up 23-13 after the extra point and shifting the momentum back to the Knights for the final minutes of the game.

With all wind taken out of the Trojans’ sails, the Knights stopped the Trojans on fourth down on their next possession, giving the ball back to Kuemper with 2:47 left on the clock.

The Knights then took the ball downfield and scored again for a  30-13 final.

Atlantic finished the game with only 69 yards rushing and 139 yards passing. Markham led all receivers with 94 yards on six catches and one touchdown.

The Trojans also had four turnovers compared to the Knights’ two.

The Trojans travel to Winterset to face the Huskies on Friday, Sept. 9.

“Hopefully we can come back next week and answer the bell,” Duff said.