Senior Liz Metheny qualifies for state tennis in Waterloo

Senior Liz Metheny advances to the state tennis meet June 2 and 3. (Photo courtesy Facebook)

by Anthony Robinson

Senior Liz Metheny’s hard work throughout her four yearsat AHS payed off Thursday. The Trojann senior won the singles championship of the invidivdual regionals in Red Oak, Thursday, May 19. She will travel to Waterloo for state June 2 and 3.

According to tennis coach Shawn Petersen, only 96 girls total from the entire state qualify for the state tournament in Waterloo. That includes each class combined.  The champion and runner-up of each regional in the singles and doubles qualify for the state event. 

Metheny drew the number 2 seed at the regional action at Red Oak Thursday.  In the first round, Metheny won in straight sets, 6-0 and 6-1 over Sara Madison of St. Albert. In the second round Metheny defeated Marely Chavez of Glenwood 6-1 and 6-0. 

In the semifinal round, Metheny was finally matched set for set.  Metheny faced Britt Walker from Red Oak to qualify for the state tournament. In the first set Metheny won 6-3. In the second, Walker came back to defeat Metheny 2-6 to tie the best of three match. In the third set Liz led the entire way until Walker tied the set at 6, forcing the Trojann senior to win her serve to force a tiebreak. Metheny came through forcing a one set tiebreak to determine the winner of the contest. Metheny fell behind early 3-1 in the tie-break, but came back to win 6 straight games to win the tiebreak 7-3.

According to Petersen, “That match was easily the best singles match I’ve seen in four years as coach.”

Metheny not only qualified for state with the win in the semifinals, but ended up winning the regional with a 6-3, 6-3 win over the number four seed Catie Faust of St. Albert.

Senior Shelby Svoboda also competed in singles on Thursday, but did not finish her first set after an ankle injury.

In doubles, seniors Morgan Allen and Carli Thornton teamed up. The Trojann seniors made it past their first round opponent from Creston, but were unable to get past a duo from St. Albert in the second round.

Seniors Sarah Schreiner and Tierney Kaimes also teamed up for doubles play on Thursday.  The team also won in the first round but were unable to get past a team of Fillies from Shenandoah.