It’s a Spy’s Life, Part 10

It’s a Spy’s Life

By: Liz Davidson

This a chapter-by-chapter book about a 16-year-old spy, Angela Darkmoon, as she finds her way in the mixed-up, topsy-turvy world she lives in.

Part 10

It started to make sense to her.  The person following her, the whole case, the press, and everything else.  Someone definitely didn’t like Brewers.

“So somewhere, Brewers might be watching the news and thinking what the heck is going on?” Jasper asked right in Angela’s ear.  The teen whirled to smack him, but Jasper had moved out of her reach, behind Croston.

“Exactly,” Nate replied as he typed away on one of Nali’s computers.

“It’s almost like someone doesn’t want us to solve this case, but why?” Angela thought aloud, tapping her chin with a finger.

“You’re exactly right, Angel, but why is the reason we need to find out,” Nate said, coming in through one of the multiple doors that opened up from Nali’s lab. Behind the doors included different observation rooms, Nali’s large office, and other such rooms.

“That’s going to be difficult,” Angela’s loudmouth coworker commented and Angela slapped his arm.

“Never say something until you have absolute proof it’s going to be hard. Looks can be deceiving,” Nali filled in for Angela’s action. Sulking and rubbing his arm, Jasper moved to a corner. The adolescent and Nate shared an exasperated look. Shaking her head, Angela looked over at Nali.

“Hey, Nali, was or is Brewers the type of person who would fake his own death to get press?” Jake asked.  Angel could see the gears in the forensic pathoget’s head turning in thought.  Nali shook her head.

“He would never do something like that.  I’m positive his mother would chew him out for doing something like that to her and that he’s more devoted to his mother than getting money and press.

“So how exactly are we going to find out who is messing with your lab?” the spy asked.

“Well, Nate is going upstairs so he can check all the different things. He’ll be looking for some type of router, virus, bug, or “window”. What ever he tells us to do, we’ll need to do exactly,” Nali explained as Nate pressed the button for the elevator.

Half an hour went by before the team got anywhere.  Jasper was complaining like usual, Nali was still having fun, and Angela was getting annoyed at how much time this job was taking.  Croston was supervising.

POP! And suddenly Nali’s computer was on fire.  Looking for the fire extinguisher, Angela tried not to panic.  Jake found the extinguisher first and pulled the pin.  Dragging Nali out of the way, Angela tried to restrain her coworker.

“I know you’re upset about your computer, but you have a back-up computer that has everything this other computer had on it.  Nothing was truly lost,” Angela whispered into Nali’s ear, so she wouldn’t be heard if there was a bug listening to everything that was going on in the lab.

“Hey!  What happened down there?” Nate asked from his walky-talky, “I’m getting nothing now.”

“The computer’s on fire,” Jasper replied into Nali’s walky-talky as Jake finished putting out the fire.

“Oh, great!  At least I found out that someone has been messing with Nali’s lab.  I even have the signal.  The person must be an amateur if I tracked them down this easily,” Nate told the rest of his coworkers.

Angela had nothing to say and sighed as the elevator dinged open.  Tontoro walked out and looked at the mess as Angela sat down wearily on the floor.

“What happened here?” the boss asked, staying calm.

“The computer was on fire,” Jasper answered.

“I can see that, but why?”

“Uhm, I think it was because of the virus bug I tracked down on Nali’s computer.  I caused the whole thing to go into overload, and the computer couldn’t take all the virus was making it do, so it went kablooey,” Nate revealed the truth.

“That makes sense.  Well, if you don’t mind me, I have the results of my double-checking of Angel’s dead man,” Croston announced to the rest of the team.

“And?” Nali asked, like she was excited and scared all at the same time.

“The man wasn’t Brewers, it wasn’t the fingerprints that I knew it wasn’t the lawyer.  It was the blood type.  Brewers’ blood type is AB-, like Angela’s.  The dead man’s is O+.”

View Comments (1)