Meet Atlantic’s new middle school principal

New Atlantic Middle School Principal, Cameron Smith.

by Anna Smith and Liz Davidson

A new face will be joining the Atlantic School District in the next year.  Cam Smith has accepted the open Atlantic Middle School Principal position.  Smith is originally from Roseville, Calif.  He attended Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa, where he earned a degree in history. He went to graduate school at Iowa State University to receive his master’s degree in educational administration.  Smith is married to his wife Anita and has four children.  AHS journalists interviewed Smith about his new position and view on the school.

Why did you decide to come to apply for Atlantic’s principal opening?

The middle school principal position at AMS was an appealing one. It was a chance for me to be a full-time administrator in a great school district. The Atlantic school district has a lot of great things going on and is a district that is headed in the right direction. At Garner-Hayfield I had a lot of different “hats” to wear. At G-H I taught high school history in the morning, was the middle school principal in the afternoon, and served as the high school athletic director, head football coach, and weight room coordinator. It will be nice to focus on being a middle school principal and to have the opportunity to work with the middle school teachers and students.

What do you plan to change during the time you are at Atlantic’s Middle School?

The first thing that I will do is take a look at everything that is in place at AMS. I will communicate with the teachers and students to see what it is about AMS that is great, and what are some changes that we might need to look at. There are plenty of state-mandated items that will need to be addressed. We will look at the implementation of these as well.

What is the most interesting thing that has happened to you while you have been an administrator?

The most interesting thing that has happened to me as an administrator would be the opportunity to see the growth of my students. I love to see all kids succeed and I enjoy working with all stakeholders to ensure this success.

I would say that some of my favorite times as the principal at G-H were the times when I could see a young person overcome an obstacle (academic, social, behavioral) and have success in school. I know that all kids want to succeed and it is great to see them do that.

Where did you grow up and where did you graduate from college?

I was born in Sacramento, Calif., and was raised in Roseville, Calif. I attended Oakmont High School in Roseville. I moved to Iowa to attend Northwestern College in Orange City. I received my degree in history with a teaching endorsement. I attended Iowa State University for my graduate work, and received my master’s degree in educational administration

What would you like the AMS and AHS students to know about you?

I am married to my wife Anita, and we have four children Carlin (7), Reed (3), Natalie (2) and a child that will be joining us in September.  My family and I enjoy various sports and arts. My wife and I have both coached in the Garner-Hayfield school district for the past eight years.  I am really excited about the chance to work with the faculty and students in Atlantic.