Letters to/from parents stir emotion

Juniors Zoe Krueger and Savannah Hoye read letters to their parents at Tuesday's assembly.
By Olivia Petersen
On April 4 and 5 the school had a two-part assembly called Every 15 minutes. The assembly was to talk about preventing drinking and driving. Thirty-six students were chosen to take part in the program. Each student had a chance to write a letter to their parents.

The letter began: Dear Mom and Dad, Every 15 minutes, someone dies as the result of an alcohol related collision. Today, I died, and I never got the chance to tell you… In these letters students got a chance to express their feelings to their parents, as if they were dead. In junior Delsin Arnold’s letter he expressed regret for not spending more time with his family: “I’m sorry for all the stupid things I’ve said. I’m sorry I never shared that I cared about the advice you gave me and the lessons you’ve taught me.”

Senior Kristen Schuler’s letter says,” Thank you for raising me the way you did. Thank you for supporting me in everything I was a part of.”

The parents also had a chance to write letters to their children. They began: Dear (Student’s name), Every 15 Minutes someone dies in a drunk driving crash. Today you died! I just wanted you to know…

Cheryl Kamies, mother of Tierney Kamies, said,” I love you more than you will ever know + more than I could ever say. You are my sunshine + my hope for tomorrow.”

Junior Gunnar Blum said reading his parents’ letters was “weird because it’s all spilled out right there on the letter. My mom tells me that stuff all the time, but my dad’s stuff was weird because he would never say something like that to me personally.”

When asked if this changed his view on drinking and driving Blum replied, “Yea. Yes it did.”