Special Olympics on a roll

A financial contribution by the Atlantic Knights of Columbus will support the Atlantic High School Special Olympics team.

Resource room teacher and Special Olympics coach Kathy Blazek says the funds are going to go to equipment costs for track and field as well as softball.

On March 18-19 the athletes will travel to Iowa City for the State Mid-Winter Tournament.   They will be participating in basketball five-on-five, cheerleading, and dance.  “I hope we can get a send-off for them the Thursday before break with all the kids in their sweats,” comments Blazek.

On April 9 the AHS Special Olympics athletes will travel to Graceland College in Lamoni for the regional games.  Contestants who receive blue ribbons will advance on to the state in Ames on May 28.

Sierra Klinghammer and Kayla Kessler are both involved in track and cheerleading.  Kessler explains, “I like cheerleading because it seems like an exercise.  I [also] like basketball and bowling.”

Other events students can participate in include, softball, basketball five on five, basketball skills, volleyball, bowling, as well as track and field.

Those who would like more information about AHS Special Olympics should contact Kathy Blazek at the high school (712)243-5358.