Dear Zoe…

You’ve got questions…we’ve got answers!

AHS 2011 Prom

Dear Zoe,

I think I want to go to prom, but I don’t have a date! I need some help on what to do…

Just so you know, you don’t have to have a date to go to prom. Prom is supposed to be a fun night for the upperclassmen to get together and have a good time. You are not required to walk out during grand march at all, or you can walk out with a group of friends.

So if you don’t have a date, go anyway! I do understand though, you want a date. Yes, this is last minute, and your choices aren’t as broad as they would have been six months ago, but I’ll try my best to give you good advice to solve your dilemma.

Start by asking your friends whether they have a date or not. If you find one that doesn’t, and wouldn’t mind getting fancy for an evening, your problem is solved.  Have courage and don’t put too much stress on yourself, it’s just prom.

Unfortunately, it may not be that easy. So if you don’t have luck with that, try finding a group to go with. Going with a group that is purely couples may not seem appealing, but it can turn out just as fun. All everyone is hoping for is fun, and you can just provide more of it.

Have you considered asking someone you’re not familiar with? You may see them passing in the halls, or have them in a class, but you never really talk. Here’s your chance to gut up and make your move. Don’t build up the task of asking them to prom into a life or death, drama ordeal; it’ll be over with before you know it.

Now you’ve asked them, and you find yourself standing there holding your breath as you wait for their answer…

If they have a date already, don’t take it as rejection because it’s not. Remember, this is last minute, and they could have had these plans made for a while.

If they tell you they aren’t really interested in getting dressed up to spend more time at school than they are required weekly, suggest not going to the dance at all, and meeting up to go to one of the after prom activities together.

If you find yourself in the flattering situation of getting asked, say yes!

If all else fails and you don’t find a date, just go. That’s right, go. If all your friends already had dates, then they are going to be there anyway and you can just meet up with them. Prom is a night for friends, so be with your friends!

You’ve got questions?  Send them to Dear Zoe [email protected]

Mardi Gras illustration used with permission – iClipArt.com