It’s a Spy’s Life, Part 7

It’s a Spy’s Life

By: Liz Davidson

This a chapter-by-chapter book about a 16-year-old spy, Angela Darkmoon, as she finds her way in the mixed-up, topsy-turvy world she lives in.

Part 7

“Watch yourself there,” an accented voice from the person who still had a hold on her elbow.

“Thanks,” she muttered getting up and grabbing the sheet. The spy looked at the person who still had a hand on her elbow. He was probably about her age, if not older. His hair was a dark brown, his skin looked as if he spent most of his time under a tropical sun. He also was about 5’8 and looked as if he worked out some.  What was he doing here?

“Can I have my elbow back?” she asked, rolling her eyes.

“Sure, I’m Jairo,” he replied letting go of her elbow and smiling.

“I’m-”

“Angela!” her boss yelled form the landing above the stairs. Both she and Jairo looked up.

“Yeah, boss?”

“Come up here and tell me what you have,” he ordered, still leaning against the railing. Angela nodded and ran up the stairs, not looking at Jairo. She handed her boss the paper, leaning against the railing beside him. Her boss whistled softly.

“Are you sure this man is Mr. Brewer?”

“It came from Nali’s machine, and knowing Nali and her machines, it’s most definitely true,” she responded, pulling her black hair into a ponytail.

“Want to go take a coffee break?” he asked, then added, “I’ll buy.”

“How could I pass up coffee that’s practically free?” she asked smiling at her boss.

“Well, come on then,” Tontoro said starting to walk down the hall towards the lobby.

“Hey, boss, where are you going?” Jasper asked, looking at Angela.

“Angela and I are going on a coffee break. You stay here and find out all you can about Mr. James Brewer.”

“But- wait, what about Brewer; is he our suspect?”

“No but he’s the dead man Croston’s working on right now,” Angela responded waving at Nate, who had just looked up from his computer. Jasper had that astonished look on his face and Nate just nodded in respond to Angela’s wave.

“So are we going to find out what all we can about this guy?” she asked.

“You and I are going to go to his office after our coffee break. We might need a plan on how to get in since…well you’ve had your fair share of lawyers.” They continued their conversation as they kept walking out of the building at to the coffee shop down the street.

“Uhm, how about wing it?” she suggested as they approached the place that had the best coffee in town, in Angela’s opinion in the whole entire nation. Angela twirled a strand of hair and smiled, looking as if she was an airhead teen who was chatting with her dad about everyday subjects. Jonathon perfected it by holding the door open for her and surveyed the room, giving a stern look to all the young men in the area.

“So who’s Jairo?” Angela asked, changing the subject. She slipped into a booth and her boss slipped into the side opposite of her.

“Part of the International Governments Spy Agency Exchange Program, or IG-SAEP. We swapped Sarah for Jairo. Right now she’s riding camels probably in Saudi Arabia.”

“Oh, fun for Sarah,” Angela commented smiling at the waitress that brought them their menus. After they had ordered and their coffee was brought to them, Angela looked around.

“Looking for someone from school, Amanda?” her boss asked.

“No, dad, nobody there likes me anyways.”

“Sure they do, they just don’t know how to talk to you. You are the new girl after all,” he responded, taking a drink of his coffee. Angela nodded and sighed.

“It’s just hard, dad,” she responded tracing a circular pattern on the table.

“Ready to go?” Tontoro asked. Angela nodded and fiddled with her phone as Jonathon paid the bill. She had a text from Jasper.

y did u n boss go get coffee?

She sighed and rolled her eyes. Jasper was being Jasper, nosey. She texted quickly back: its classified. She turned her phone off and joined her boss at the door.

“I wonder what they’ll want us to do before we can actually see Mr. Brewer’s office,” the teen wondered allowed.

“Guess we’ll find out,” her boss responded back as they walked to building that held James Brewers’ office. The building was huge and could see windows everywhere.

A middle-aged secretary stopped both Angela and her boss at the front desk in the lobby. The lobby itself showed that more than one high-time lawyer worked in the building.

“We need to see the office of Mr. James Brewer,” her boss said as Angela took out her badge and showed it to the secretary.

“Oh, well…. here’s the key to his office and his office is on the 15th floor,” she said as she handed Jonathon the key, “Just follow the signs on the walls.”

“Thanks,” he replied as he took the key and headed towards the door. Angela looked back at the door and saw a peek of someone duck behind a pillar. Someone was following her. Not a good thing, especially if you were a spy.