Protection is key

By Zoe Krueger

Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are a topic that is often left unspoken. Though it’s uncomfortable and awkward to openly discuss, the least that can be done is to get the facts out. Knowledge is power; protection is key.

Did you know that the most common STD is chlamydia? That is the same STD that has been greatly increasing in our area since June, according to public health nurse Linda Edelman. This isn’t a joke. AHS students, sitting in their classes, walking through the halls, talking with their teachers, eating in the lunchroom, are possible candidates to be spreading this STD. If that’s not enough to make you run to get tested, here are some numbers.

At our local HCCMS Family Planning Clinic at the Public Health Office, 25 positive chlamydia tests came in for 2010, 24 of which were reported from June to December. Those numbers include both males and females, within the range approximately between 16-24 years of age. The average for the entire year of 2009 was four positive tests, which means HCCMS has seen an increase of over 600%. Realize that these numbers do not include the Medical Center’s, which have not officially been recorded yet for 2010.

You may be thinking… “I would never catch that!” or “I don’t have any symptoms of an STD, so I don’t have one.” If that’s you, and you’re not abstinent, then you could be wrong. STDs don’t discriminate against gender, race, age, popularity, looks, net-worth, or names. Anyone can become infected from anyone they become sexually involved with.

The tricky thing about chlamydia is it often shows no symptoms at all. What should be a concern is the serious health effects it can have in the long term. Chlamydia can cause infertility in both males and females if left untreated. Females with chlamydia left untreated can pass it along to a child during birth.

The importance of getting tested is not a secret. It’s advertised on television, in magazines, on billboards, etc. But some people are still confused about what is involved in STD testing. Let’s get the rumors out of the way: testing for STDs is painless. If you can pee, you can get tested. The procedure is not invasive; it’s simply a urine test. The tests are also highly confidential. The results, or the fact that you are even interested in getting tested, are left securely between you and the health care provider. HCCMS is a public health office, which means testing and treatment is free of charge.

Linda Edelman, Public Health and Family Planning nurse at HCCMS Family Planning, says that the best ways to protect yourself against STDs are abstinence, monogamy, or at least, a condom. Above all else, think of yourself. Be selfish. Take care of number one. Do that by getting yourself checked out. Before pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean.

For more information on getting tested, call HCCMS Family Planning at (712)-243-7551 or (712)-243-8006.