New club supports positive change at AHS

One of TROFY's current projects is a Prom dress sale.

By Devin O’Neill

A new club is available at Atlantic High School. Teens Reaching Out For You (TROFY) is the name of a group of students that are trying to change different aspects in the school.  The main purpose is to promote healthy eating habits, stop using tobacco, drugs, and alcohol, and to treat each other better overall.

T.R.O.F.Y group started in November. The group is doing the caring couch, which you could earn a ticket by helping out another student in any way. They also plan on putting a vending machine in the commons with healthy snacks in it. On February 12 they had a booth up at the health expo at the YMCA. And they are having a prom dress sale. They also have a kick butts day during the parent teacher conferences but they are still working out the details for that.

The group meets the first Monday of every month in teacher Tara Anderson’s, room 302. Anyone can join this group; if they want to join the group all they have to do is consistently attend meetings.

Junior Marcie Mahan (president of TROFY) says, “It would be good for the school if we could get more people in it.”

Senior Lance Pruett says, “It looks good on an application.”

Mrs. Anderson (who started trophy) says, “Trophy is a great way for kids to get involved in a school organization that is looking for ways to better our school as well as ourselves by focusing on leadership, wellness and self-respect.”