ITEDs assembly

AHS freshmen, sophomores, and juniors enjoyed the ITED prize giveaway.

By Katie Blake

From Oct. 25- 29, 2010, Atlantic High School freshmen through juniors took the Iowa Tests of Education Development (ITEDs).  On Feb. 15 they were rewarded for their efforts.

Administrators focused on making sure the students would understand the importance of the testing and be well rested to put forth their best efforts. Therefore the ITEDs were stretched out over four days of testing.

In an effort to reward students for their work, principal Heather McKay worked with teachers Cathy Blazek and Pat Wiederien to collect prizes from local businesses.

To be eligible for the prizes, a student needed to show growth in one of the two ways Atlantic is looking at.  The first way is to show proficiency, which means that the student is at or above the 40 percentile at the national level. The second way is for the student to show a full year’s growth from last year’s test scores.

Students who improved in one of these two categories are eligible to receive a prize during prime time on Feb. 15.  Prizes vary from bikes to toy tractors, and silly string to gift certificates.  All prizes were contributed from community member and stores.

Art teacher Pat Wiederien reports, “I was impressed with the community’s response to Heather McKay’s request for prizes.  The majority of people were awesome.” Weiderien was surprised by how many donations were received and how understanding businesses were about the accomplishment the school made this year.

In the junior class 111 students are eligible to go home with a prize today. In the sophomore class there are 102 students, and 103 freshmen are in the running for a special prize.

By giving out prizes for doing good on tests this year.  The goal is that students will be more motivated to do well to get a prize in the fallowing years.

View Comments (1)