AHS NFL: a record-breaking weekend

By Malachi Wickman

The Atlantic National Forensics League (NFL) team achieved broke a school record by advancing three duo acting teams to the final round of competition.  Friday and Saturday, Feb. 11 and 12, eight students from AHS participated in the NFL District tournament at Okoboji.

AHS had twelve entries total: four teams in duo interpretation, two original orations, two humorous interpretations, and four dramatic interpretations.

After two elimination rounds, seven of the AHS entries were still alive and advanced to the next day’s competition.

After a long day of rounds on Saturday, the Trojan forensics squad received their results.

Junior Malachi Wickman advanced to the quarterfinal round in original oratory placing fifth overall.  Sophomore Caroline Trewet advanced to the semifinals in oratory, placing fifth overall. Sophomore Shelby Cooper reached the semifinals in humorous interpretation, placing seventh overall. Sophomore Tiffany Brauckman advanced to the finals in dramatic interpretation, placing fifth overall.  Three of our duo interpretation teams set a new record for Atlantic High School by making it to the final round.  The team of Jessica Askeland and Valerie Watson (freshmen) placed sixth; Trewet and Wickman placed fifth, and Cooper and sophomore Tom Stinn placed third.

Stinn and Cooper are first alternates for Nationals. This means if either of the top two teams are unable to attend the national tournament in Dallas, Texas, Stinn and Cooper will compete in their place.

Results from the days’ competitions were posted to http://twitter.com/#!/ahsneedle throughout the day.  Follow AHSneedle on Twitter.