Speech District Large Group at Perry

WORKING HARD: Junior Riley Seufert and speech coach Alex Bales work on her broadcasting project that will be sent to judges for District Large Group

Charity Williams

Spending Saturday preparing to perform in front of a judge and audience, students from all over Iowa will be traveling to Perry for Speech District Large Group. This competition is the start off for the competitive speech season and gets students ready for state or All-State.

There are 16 groups from Atlantic who will be going to Perry and represent AHS. There are six events that will be performed by AHS students. Solo Mime, Short Film, Ensemble Acting, Musical Theater, Radio Broadcasting and Improv. Alex Bales is one of the speech coaches here at Atlantic. What Bales is most anticipating for this competition is, “I always like watching students perform at contest. Watching them practice is one thing but watching them perform in front of a judge and audience is a whole different setting.”
Going with is Riley Seufert, who is a junior participating in her third year of speech. The event she and her group, Cheyenne Elliott and Kyra Namanny are taking part in is Radio Broadcasting.” I hope to at least get a two rating this weekend,” said Seufert.