Javelin Earns Award of Distinguished Merit in Yearbook Contest

The score represents excellence and is second only to the coveted Neubert Award.

HARD WORK PAYS OFF – Students in first-period Yearbook Editing celebrate the Award of Distinguished Merit from the Jostens-IHSPA Yearbook Critique and Contest. The award was given to the 2016 book on Dec. 19. This is the second time in three years the Javelin has earned this notable award.

Jayden Barnwell

The Atlantic High School journalism department received an Award of Distinguished Merit for their 2016 yearbook on Dec. 19. The AHS Javelin was entered in the Jostens & Iowa High-School Press Association (IHSPA) Whole Book Yearbook Critique and Contest.

This critique and contest evaluates the yearbook on everything from the theme and photographs, to coverage of sports and students. The Award of Distinguished Merit is the second best award that Jostens & IHSPA gives out, right behind the Neubert Award. (Only one yearbook in Iowa–The  Dragon by Johnston High school–was awarded the Neubert last year. Results of all schools are not yet available for 2016.)

This year was a step up from the previous year of 2015, when the AHS Javelin earned the Award of Achievement. The 2016 book was produced under the direction of student editor -in-chief Alaena Pelzer, a 2016 AHS graduate currently attending Central College in Pella.

The evaluation was done by Jack Kennedy, a journalism instructor at Colorado State University. Overall the yearbook was excellent, but nothing is perfect. Kennedy mentioned that some of the quotes speculated about events to come in the 2017 school year. Kennedy said those should be left out because readers need to focus on the 2016 year.  

Kennedy also said that the book needed a little more “meaning” added to the book and the year and that as a whole the book needs a “clear focus” and a “clear narrative.”

Kennedy also touched on the unique and great things he saw in this years yearbook. “I loved the black and white staff spread,” Kennedy said. “I like the idea of asking each senior about plans for the future.” Kennedy said as he was commenting on the portrait section of the of the book.

The 2016 year book was best yearbook AHS produced since 2014.  The editor-in-chief for the 2017 book is junior Madeline Nelson.

“Our 2017 book is really coming together,” said adviser Allison Berryhill. “Maybe this will be our year for a Neubert Award.”

Students wanting to order the 2017 Javelin may do so online or at school for $50. The 2017 book will have over 200 pages of photos and stories.