Christmas Kickoff

Students vote on their favorite Christmas songs.

O CHRISTMAS TREE(S)-	Sophomore Zade Niklasen admires the Christmas trees sparkling lights in the library.  The trees were placed by the window so anyone that passed by the library could get a glimpse of the Christmas trees.  These were only two of many Christmas trees set up in the school.

O CHRISTMAS TREE(S)- Sophomore Zade Niklasen admires the Christmas trees’ sparkling lights in the library. The trees were placed by the window so anyone that passed by the library could get a glimpse of the Christmas trees. These were only two of many Christmas trees set up in the school.

Halsey Bailey

What’s the most popular Christmas song in AHS?  To find out, 25 students were first asked what their favorite Christmas song was.  The four most common songs among the students were then run as a poll on Twitter.  “Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer” and “Frosty the Snowman” both tied last on the poll at a mere eight percent.  AHS students chose the classic “Jingle Bells” as the runner up.  “Jingle Bells” won 17 percent of voters.  Sixty-four students voted, and 43 (67 percent) of them chose “All I Want For Christmas Is You” as their favorite Christmas song.

According to businessinsider.com, “All I Want For Christmas Is You” was America’s most popular Christmas song in 2012-13.  On billboard.com,  the song is ranked number one on their “Holiday 100” chart.  The chart contains 100 Christmas songs.  

Mariah Carey’s version of the song is the most popular among AHS students and in the United States.  It is sophomore Erin Wendt’s favorite Christmas song as well.  “I’ve seen funny videos of people making jokes about the song online,” Wendt said.  “The song is also an ‘earworm,’ it gets stuck in your head.”  Wendt believes that the majority of students in AHS don’t like to listen to Christmas music before December.  “I’ve learned from experience that if it’s still November, most people hate Christmas music,”  Wendt said. She likes Christmas music a lot.  It gets her in a more “festive mood.”

What do the exchange students at AHS think of America’s Christmas music?  Junior Shadman Ornob is from Bangladesh.  Ornob’s favorite Christmas song is “Jingle Bells.” “I knew ‘Jingle Bells’ before I came to the United States,” Ornob said.  Ornob said that there is no Christmas music in Bangladesh, but there is festive music that is listened to during the Eid Festival.  “The Eid Festival is a religious festival that takes place in September.  People fast for a month.  You can only eat and drink in between when the sun goes down and comes up.”  Ornob said the festival is celebrated to “understand how the poor people feel.”

Sophomore Sadie Welter started listening to Christmas music in November on her way to and from school.  “Christmas time is the best time of year,” Welter said.  “I love listening to Christmas songs.”  Welter said that Iowans are very festive and enjoy celebrating Christmas.  “We love getting in holiday spirit,” Welter said.  By Dec. 2, two Christmas trees were set up in the AHS library.  Another tree is located near the main entrance of the school.  In downtown Atlantic, more holiday spirit came to be from the annual grand lighting.

Christmas music seems to spread holiday cheer everywhere.  Families might listen to Christmas music as they decorate their Christmas tree, or as they bake cookies.  Christmas music is the toss of a coin before a football game.  It really kicks off a good start to the holiday season.