Girls’ Golf Wins Districts

The Atlantic girls’ golf team placed four of the top five scores.

Senior Erin Olsen

Ben Renaud, Editor

The girls’ golf team took four of the top five places in the District tournament on Monday, May 16. After finishing a perfect dual season, the Trojans won the District meet handily at the Atlantic Golf and Country Club with a score of 339—47 strokes ahead of second-place Shenandoah.

Junior Brooke Newell was medalist with a score of 71, one over par. Senior Erin Olsen got third place, junior Sarah Fixmer took fourth place, and freshman Alyssa Ginther got fifth place.

Coach Kathy Hobson said she was very pleased with how the girls played. Hobsen said there were some tough pin locations, and the weather was a little rainy which made the course play a little harder. 

According to Hobson, lot of the girls have made improvements and lowered their score. “Sarah Fixmer played her best round of the year with a 91,” said Hobson. Junior McKenna Den Beste took 6 strokes off her 18-hole score from the previous tournament.

Brooke Newell said she was happy with the score she had, and said she really finished strong. Something that Newell looks to improve on going into her next round is chipping and putting.

Olsen started off her round good, but had some back troubles as the round progressed, she said. Accuracy and hitting greens are two things Olsen looks to do better in next Monday’s tournament. Hobson noted that although Olsen was not feeling well on Monday, she “didn’t let it slow her down.” Hobson said Olsen is “truly a competitor.” 

Both coaches and players were happy with the win and look forward to playing at Regionals next Monday in Nevada. Hobson noted the level of competition will only increase from here on out. “We hope to be able to maintain this level of play as competition will be much tougher and a State tournament bid on the line.  We can’t have any letdowns now,” Hobson said.