NHS Induction Postponed

McKay waiting for directive from national organization

Photo credit: Prosper High School, Prosper, Texas

Madelyn Williams, Zeke Whetstone

Th2 2015 NHS induction process has been postponed due to confusion and possible error in the selection process.

Juniors and seniors submitted application packets by Friday, Oct. 16.  The students were required to have a grade-point average of at least 3.0, and demonstrate good leadership, character, scholarship and service. Students also submitted resumes and essays answering the question:Pick an experience from your own life and explain how it has influenced the person you have become.”

The next phase of the selection process involved a five-member teacher advisory committee reviewing the packets. Students were then notified of their acceptance.

However, some people contacted the school to say the selection process did not follow protocol as posted on the national website.  

On Nov. 4, issues about the selection of the teacher advisory committee were brought to principal Heather McKay’s attention. According to the national site, the committee is to be appointed by the building principal. However, this protocol was not followed this year at AHS.

To address the concerns, McKay contacted the national office and spoke to a representative. After an email exchange, McKay is waiting for a directive from the national organization.

In the meantime, McKay has postponed the induction. McKay said “quite possibly” this year’s application packets could be reviewed, depending on the answer from the national office.

McKay voiced concern about the incident, “I should have done a better job of checking with the constitution of what national honor society,” she said. “I have unintentionally hurt Mr. Upchurch (NHS adviser) and the faculty council. I do everything I can to support my teachers.”

McKay emphasized that she is not making excuses. She said she would like to try to grow from the experience and improve, “I want to make it right.”