ProStart Kids Work with Top Chef

Hayley Gibson

AHS students in the Prostart Program peeked into the delicious world of the professional chef on Thursday, Sept. 24, in Des Moines. Seven students in the Prostart Program attended Dine Iowa Grand Tasting Gala at the Capital Square. The Iowa Restaurant Association hosted seven professional chefs from across the state. The chefs were Andrew Havlovic from Catering DSM/Sidebar in Des Moines, Phillip Winkler from Prairie Links Golf & Event Center in Waverly, Jeff Snowgren from Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino in Altoona, Pam Oldes from On the Green in Oskaloosa, Andreas Hartmann from Ameristar Casino and Hotel in Council Bluffs, Dylan Caryl from HyVee Market Cafe in Ankeny, and Adam Gillaspey from Trostel’s Greenbriar Restaurant in Johnston.

The seven chefs were previously judged in the Iowa Restaurant Association’s Professional Chefs Culinary Competition on their presentation of beef sirloin and tofu side dish or sauce. On Sept, 24 the chefs were able to present their previously judged dishes. Along with competing in the Iowa Restaurant Association’s competition the chefs were competing for a People’s Choice Award.  By the end of the night the chefs knew who won first and runner up for the entire competition.

The Prostart Program is a new program to Atlantic High School. Home economic teacher Merle Hopper-Henningson teaches the course. It is a two year program but Hopper has split it into a four semester program where Prostart Two is only offered second semester. In order to receive  the Prostart National Certificate of Achievement the students have to take two end of year exams and score a 70% or higher and complete 400 working hours. The Gala that the students attended in Des Moines counted towards their working hours. If the students pass all the requirements and receive the certificate it gives them a leg up in the culinary world. The program can be converted into credits if they intend on going to culinary school or college after high school. But if a student decides that they want to go straight into the working world then the certificate will put them in a higher position and they will be considered before other people with no work experience. At the end of the Gala the students helped with tear down and were able to see who won and who was runner up of the competition. Andrew Havlovic from Des Moines was the winner of the entire competition and Dylan Caryl from Ankeny was the runner up. The winner for the People’s choice award was Jeff Snowgren from Altoona.

Dawson Carey was one of seven kids who attended the Grand Tasting Gala. Carey worked with Adam Gillaspey from Johnston. Part of the responsibilities of the students was to help the chefs prepare their dish and hand out the dish to guests. Carey said the students where required to wear their own chefs coats and chefs hats for the evening. Carey was very positive about the Gala. He said, “Yes it was a good experience learning from the chefs and seeing how they did things.” Carey is going to continue on with Prostart Program. He has plans to start working at West Side to earn working hours towards getting his certificate. Carey says that if he receives the Prostart National Certificate of Achievement  that his plans are to attend DMACC’s culinary program and further his culinary education. Carey said he had a great time at the Gala and recommends the Prostart Program, “Yes the Program may be hard, but its a very fun experience if you like to make something out of nothing.”