Band Receives Input from Clinician

The clinician who visited Atlantic High School and gave his input was Pete Jacobus, the old band teacher from Glenwood.

Monica Brewer

On Tuesday, April 28, band students were in the auditorium by 7:30 am to play the two songs they’re taking to contest: “Go Galop” and “Chorale and Shaker Dance.”  Why?  Pete Jacobus, a retired band teacher from Glenwood, came to Atlantic High School to hear the band perform their pieces.

The day started off with band teacher Jarrod O’Donnell directing the band straight through the songs for the first 10-15 minutes.  For the rest of the time, Jacobus took the stage to give the notes he had for them and to direct them through some parts of concern.

Jacobus talked to the students about dynamics and tone.  Some of his notes included that “even the smallest parts of the band are the most important and that dynamics are important.”  As time went by, students were amazed at what small changes could do to a piece of music.  Jacobus added that “when the director takes certain sections through small parts, the other students need to listen.”

He stressed that it was important to listen to each other, to look up from their music, and for some students to take their “heads out of their stands.”  For one part of “Go Galop,” he told the students to turn their stands around and play part of the song memorized.  Some students awed at having parts of the songs memorized.

He ended his session by wishing the students and O’Donnell good luck as they head to Large Group Contest at Harlan on Friday May 8.  O’Donnell’s expectations: at least a division two rating or better.