Boys and Girls Preseason Golf Report

Junior Jackson Wickman is a returning member on the golf team.

Jena Brosam

by Jena Brosam

On Monday, March 16, girls and boys golf started their 2015 season. This year there are 5 girls and 24 boys out for golf.

This year there are three returning varsity letter winners for the boys, junior Kyle Nelson, sophomore Jake Olsen, and sophomore Zac Stork. Head coach Ed DenBeste said, “I expect all to take some type of leadership role in the upcoming golf season. It looks as of now that Jake will be my number one golfer. I would expect him to take the highest role, but that doesn’t mean the other two are not expected to do so as well.”

Sophomore, and first year golfer, Nate Gifford said he expects the team to go deep into the tournament, and hopefully make it to state. “My goal is to make varsity and consistently shoot in the high 70’s and low 80’s,” said Gifford.

The boys main goal this year is to get to state. Denbeste said, “This year we are going to have to work very hard and play well at the end of the season to advance this year. We will be setting goals later this week for individual goals and team goals as well.”

“I also want to have a strong JV team this year. We have several back from last year that can help but also have a good group of 9th graders that can make places on the JV team,” said DenBeste.

Sophomore Logan Nelson said, “I’d like to play my best and do better than last year. I want to give it my all year round and become better buds with Coach DenBeste.”

Freshman Mason Goergen said, “My main goal is to not make J JV. I’d like to improve throughout the season as well.”

There are 5 seniors out this year: Kody Harris, Collin Baker, Seth Nelson, Brandon McConkey, and Casey Ihnen. “This group could make some big gains and hopefully provide some leadership roles as well,” said Denbeste.

Harris said,” My expectations for this season is just to golf. I’d like to shoot 10 under and maybe even put the ball in the hole.”

On the girls side, junior Erin Olsen said, “As a team I’m expecting to make it back to state. My goal is to win a few tournaments and become better throughout the season.”

Junior Erin Olsen is a returning member on the girls golf team.

Both boys and girls played at Kuemper Catholic Tuesday, April 7 for their first match of the season. On Thursday, April 9, the Trojans will take on Creston. The boys are home and girls are away.