Costa Rica Canned Food Drive Fundrasier

Staff

If you’re interested in learning more about the canned food drive or about Spanish Club, contact Sr. Vargason or Sra. Niceswanger.

by Tori Krogh

As this school year turns into its last nine weeks, exciting things at AHS are already panning out for next year. This includes the June 2016 trip to Costa Rica! Though you may not be going, there are some ways you can help the Spanish trip students raise money for this once in a lifetime opportunity. The first way is the Costa Rica Canned Food Drive.

During the week of March 23-28, there will be drop-off boxes for non-perishable food items (it doesn’t just have to be cans) at the following locations: the hospital, YMCA, library, both dance studios, and all ACSD buildings. At the school drop off sites, there will be a box for each grade. Why? The grade that raises the most amount of items will win a complimentary pizza party sponsored by our local Pizza Ranch.

On Saturday, March 28, the Spanish trip students will venture out on the town, going door to door in order to collect more food. After the collection, the items will be taken to HyVee and be scanned in order to see how much money is raised. Then, businesses will either generously match the price or give a donation. All the food will then be donated to the local food pantry.

This trip to Costa Rica is an opportunity for Spanish students to learn this language in a hands-on environment. Though it may be fun, this trip will cost approximately $2,123 per student. Even if you may not be going, this food drive is a way you can support your fellow classmates just by bringing in a simple can of food.

If you have any questions about the canned food drive or the Spanish trip, contact Sr. Vargason or Sra. Niceswanger.