Monarchs edge Trojans at charity stripe

by Anthony Robinson

The Dension Monarchs travled to Atlantic to take on the Trojans, in a Hawkeye 10 conference match-up.  Coming off a heartbreaking buzzer-beater loss to Lewis Central only three days earlier, the Trojans were looking to take the Monarchs off the throne.  The Monarchs defeated the Trojans 65-64.

Denison came out early in the first quarter applying a three quarter to full court press on the Trojans.  The Trojans commited too many turnovers early, causing the Monarchs to take an early 8-2 lead, which proved to be the largest Monarch lead of the night.  A big three-point field goal by junior guard Blake Esbeck tied the game at 17 with less than a minute to play in the quarter. Denison was able to get an easy basket, to take a 19-17 lead into the second.

The second quarter was a near stalemate with the Monarchs maintaining the lead, before a jumper by sophomore Chad Christensen to tie the game at 27 with 2:45 remaining in the quarter.  A ginormous three-point basket by sophomore forward Dalton Franken with less than a minute remaining in the half, gave the Trojans their first lead of the game at 32-30.  The Trojans switched from a man-to-man defense to a 2-3 zone defense near the beginning of the second quarter, limiting the Monarchs’ scoring.

An early lay-up by sophomore Sam Markham gave the Trojans a 34-30 lead out of the break.  The Trojans stuck with their effective  2-3 zone defense in the second half, but allowed the Monarchs to take a 35-34 lead.  A jumper by Markham, and a three-point field goal by sophomore Chad Christensen gave the Trojans a 39-35 lead causing Denison coach Don Lyons to call a time out.

The Trojans built their largest lead of the night at seven (47-40), after a basket by Franken.  The Trojans led 51-47 heading to the fourth and final quarter.

The Monarchs switched to a zone defense in the second quarter to slow down the hot shooting Trojans.  The Trojans were able to get great ball movement on the zone, creating open shots for easy buckets.

After an Austin Eller three-point field goal, the Monarchs pulled within one 54-53.   With 2:10 remaining in the game, Denison regained the lead 59-58.  Sparked by a 6-0 run, the Monarchs took their largest lead of the second half, 61-58, with under two minutes to play.

A lay-up by Franken, and a steal and lay-up by Christensen, put the Trojans back on top 62-61.

The Trojans had great defensive play, causing Lyons to call a timeout with 48.9 seconds remaining with the Trojans still up by one.   With 23.9 seconds left, senior forward Ricky Torres made two free throws to put the Monarchs back on top 63-62.

With 10.9 seconds left, Christensen was fouled by Denison and sent to the line to shoot two free throws.  Christensen converted both, putting the Trojans back on top 64-63.

On the Monarchs next possesion, Torres was sent to the line again with a chance to take the regain  lead, with 0.9 seconds on the clock.  Torres was perfect, hitting two of two from the charity stripe.  Franken’s inbound pass intended for Esbeck was intercepted by none other than Torres, to end the game.

Torres ended with 22 points for the Monarchs.

The Trojans were led with three players in double-figure scoring.  Christensen had 22, Markham had 13, and Franken had 11.

Denison finished six for six from the free throw line.

The Trojans play three games next week, all on the road.  The Trojans travel to Neola, to play the Tri-Center Trojans in a boy-girl double header, Monday night.

View Comments (1)