Willy Wonka Results in Applause

This years musical was Willy Wonka.  It was shown last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

This year’s musical was “Willy Wonka.” It was shown last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

by Monica Brewer

I got a golden ticket…to see this year’s musical!

This past weekend on Friday, March 6 at 7:30 pm, Saturday, March 7 at 7:30 pm, and Sunday, March 8 at 2:30 pm, the Atlantic High School Music Department presented this year’s musical “Willy Wonka.”  The students sang, danced, and acted their best to the packed audiences.  The cast and crew of the musical worked hard up to the performance dates and it was intended for success, which was received from audience applause during the finale.

It was an journey for this musical, with starting rehearsals late because of some cast members not showing up on time, stage mishaps that happened while rehearsing, and backstage chaos, but altogether the musical came together before opening night.  Sophomore Max Elwood, who played Charlie Bucket, said that the musical was “very stressful, but it’s great being on stage.”  Freshman Aaron Rothfuz, who played Augustus Gloop, said that this musical has “definitely improved.”

This musical was spectacular for audience members with special sound and lighting effects from the lighting crew, powerful vocals from the cast, and great music from the members in the pit.  With the songs this year, there’s plenty of chances for the cast and crew to choose their favorites.  Freshmen Charity Williams and Riley Seufert, who played in the pit, both agreed that their favorite song to play was the Oompa Loompa songs, while senior Ben Parker, who played Willy Wonka, said that his favorite song was the Gloop’s number “I Eat More.”

This is the class of 2015’s last musical performance of their high school career.  This year, the seniors involved with this musical were Ben Parker, Justin Somers, Halee Glenn, Mark Stinn, Hannah McLean, Brecklyn Carey, Hannah Nelson, Haley Schweigert, Turner Russell, and Monica Brewer.  McLean, who played Phineous Trout, said that she’ll miss “that feeling when you’re backstage and it’s going well.”  Somers, who played Grandpa Joe, said that he’ll miss “the week before the musical where you see everything coming together.”

There were a couple of surprises that happened throughout the musical.  The first surprise was AHS alumni Paige Sorenson and Tom Stinn came back to play in the pit on all three show dates.  The second surprise happened after the musical ended.  The whole cast congratulated the senior members with gifts of candy and their pictures that were taken off of Facebook.

The last of the surprises came when the seniors gave out three presents.  They presented piano player and Harlan music teacher Christine Skog flowers, choir teacher and musical director Jennifer Gaesser a hat, and band teacher and assistant musical director Jarrod O’Donnell with a cane, both which were signed by the whole cast.

It was a good ending to a great musical.  The next big events for band and choir is Solo and Small Ensemble Contest, which is on March 28.