Budget Cuts Affect Band Department

Number Six in a Series about ACSD Cuts to the Budget

Budget cuts are affecting students of all activities, including the band department with the loss of their music tutor.

by Andrew Rothfusz

Due to the recent budget reorganization, the Atlantic High School band department will be losing a valued member of its staff.  According to the hard copy of the new budget distributed at the school board meeting on Feb. 9, the position of Music Tutor that is currently held by Dr. Eric Johnson will not be reinstated in the 2015-2016 school year.

According to band director Jarrod O’Donnell, Johnson has been a valuable asset to the band department in the last 10 years he has been employed by the Atlantic Community School District.  “He would always pull kids out of band and give them extra individual lessons, especially during solo/ensemble season, or if I needed to work with the Jazz band, he would take the Concert Band as I worked,” said O’Donnell.  “Without him here, I will have to plan things differently.

When asked about why she saw it prudent to recommend the cutting of Johnson’s position, principal Heather McKay responded by saying the number of students enrolled in band was “consistently low as of late” and  that the current number of people involved in the band program “do(es) not necessitate having an assistant in band.”

McKay also stated that attendance is not the only factor involved in deciding whether or not a program receives funding from the school board; there are multiple elements that come into effect.  “There are several variables that go into play; you almost have to think of a hierarchy of how long things have been in place.  Numbers are definitely important, sources of revenue are important, how long the activity has been around – are all factors.”

Johnson, who has been involved in music education for much of his life, said that he is not sure what he is going to do with his time now that he is unemployed.  “I guess I’m retired, so I will just live day to day.”