First 2015 Board Meeting

Assistant principal Matt Alexander stated at the board meeting that there have been around five to six students who have had more than one computer violation with the one-to-one program.

Turner Russell

by Turner Russell

The Atlantic School District held a board meeting at the high school on Monday, Jan. 12. The board discussed items including T.L.C and the one-to-one computer program. The board also had special presentations regarding Atlantic’s homeschooling program and school-building maintenance.

Russell Peck presented the board with an operations and maintenance update regarding the Atlantic school buildings and facilities. Peck stated that there had lately been “a few general repairs” that had taken place at the high school. “We did the carpet in a couple rooms, we had some broken water lines through the winter, and we also had a sprinkler system broken,” said Peck. Peck discussed several repairs that will need to be done in the near future at the high school such as radon testing, parking lot fixes, and expansion of the stairs on the bleachers at the Trojan Bowl.

Atlantic superintendent Dr. Michael Amstein discussed a T.L.C. (Teacher Leadership and Compensation) grant, saying it “gives us an opportunity for four full time new positions that will impact all our buildings.” Amstein said, “I’m excited for the teachers that will have that opportunity. We’ve got some good candidates for this position, so that makes it even better.”

During the principal’s reports, high school assistant principal Matt Alexander updated the board on the one-to-one computer program. Alexander said, “With the one to one computers, some students will just leave them sitting in the commons or in the band hallway. If a teacher finds it, it’s a violation.” Alexander said that the handbook states that there will be “consequences” for misusing a school laptop. “I think there’s probably five or six students that have had more than one violation,” reported Alexander.

Linda Nichols and Tina Olsen presented information on the Home School Assistance Program. There are currently 37 students enrolled in the program. Some of these students take some classes at the high school, as well as take part in various activities and sports.