Trojanns sluggish start, ends in loss

by Anthony Robinson

The Atlantic Trojanns hosted the Harlan Cyclonettes Tuesday night in a Hawkeye 10 conference basketball matchup.   Harlan defeated the Trojanns 72-27.

With the loss the Trojanns fell to 1-3 in conference and 3-5 overall.

From the opening whistle, Harlan implied a full-court press on the Trojanns.  The Trojanns were unable to figure out the press, committing numerous turnovers, and quickly saw themselves down 11-0 after the first four minutes.  The Trojanns seemed lethargic from the opening tip.   After three more Harlan field goals, the Cyclonettes led 17-0.   Senior Jessi Arneson’s three-point field goal at the 1:45 mark was the first three points for the Trojanns.

Harlan was able to control the offensive and defensive rebounds all through the game.  The Cyclonettes kept adding to their lead with many offensive put-backs.  Harlan led 34-15 at halftime.

At the end of the third quarter, senior forward Taylor Young hit a jumper in the lane as time expired.  The Trojanns were down 51-25 at the end of the third.

The Trojanns were outscored 21-2 in the final quarter.

Coach Pelzer said, “I’m glad its over.”

The Trojanns only got to the free-throw line eight times, and were only able to make two of the buckets.

The Trojanns were led by junior point guard Paige Kennon with eight points.  Young added seven for Atlantic.

Senior Jacie White led the Cyclonettes with 18, while Jordan Brelje had 11.

The Trojanns have a two-week break for the semester/winter break, and return to action in 2011, on Tuesday, Jan. 4, at Lewis Central.