Madrigal Dinner will Bring Christmas Flair to AHS

Above are last years jesters seniors Grace Jacob and Ben Parker.  This year, Parker will be a king at the Saturday night Madrigal Dinner, and Jacob will be on the royal court.  If you are interested in purchasing tickets to the event, talk to Ms. Gaesser or any choir student.

Above are last year’s jesters seniors Grace Jacob and Ben Parker. This year, Parker will be a king at the Saturday night Madrigal Dinner, and Jacob will be on the royal court. If you are interested in purchasing tickets to the event, talk to Ms. Gaesser or any choir student.

by Paige Anstey and Christin Hitz

The Atlantic High School choir department is getting into the holiday spirit by preparing for this year’s Madrigal Dinner. The Madrigal Dinner will take place in the commons at AHS on Saturday, Dec. 13 at 7:00 pm and Sunday, Dec. 14 at 5:00 pm. Tickets for the dinner are $20 each, and this event will last two and a half hours each night.

Jennifer Gaesser, the AHS Choir Director, continued out the Madrigal tradition after Luke Johnson accepted a job at Iowa Western Community College. Gaesser said that it was highly encouraged that she continue the Madrigal Dinner. “I went to a college that did it four years,” said Gaesser.

Gaesser said the scoring sheet was tied this year for the king and queen roles. That means that this year there will be two kings and two queens. On Saturday, Dec. 13, Justin Somers and Hannah McLean will be king and queen of the royal court, which is made up by the seniors in choir. The second night of the Madrigal Dinner, Sunday, Dec. 14, Ben Parker and Halee Glenn will play king and queen. McLean said that it was “unexpected” to be chosen for queen.

The main songs that will be sung at this event include: “Deck the Hall,” “Carol of the Bells,” and “Good King Wenceslas.” However, McLean’s favorite song from the Madrigal Dinner is “My Friends We Now Must Leave Thee.” This song is sang at the very end of the night when everyone must part ways.

McLean said that her favorite part of the Madrigal Dinner is “how Christmassy it is.”

Sophomore Alexis Brockman said that she enjoyed the experience of participating in the Madrigal Dinner. Last year was her first year, and she was a server. Brockman said she enjoyed it because she “didn’t end up dropping the food.”  Brockman said, “I didn’t try out for a part for this year’s Madrigal, but I want to beg people for money.”

McLean said that out of all her years of participating in the Madrigal Dinner, her most memorable experience was last year, when she was a junior. “I got to be page and that was really fun.”

Gaesser said that her favorite part from the Madrigal Dinner is the play.

Brockman likes how you get to interact with friends during the Madrigal Dinner.

The choir department continues to prepare for the upcoming event.  If you want to purchase tickets for the Madrigal Dinner, talk to Gaessar or another choir student.