Six Atlantic Students Selected to Participate in All-State

Sophomores Nadia Somers and Anna Iekel, juniors Sarah Mccance and Lydia Joseph, and seniors Ben Parker and Halee Glenn made All-State 2014.  Somers made it into the All-State Orchestra with her French horn. Parker and Glenn have auditioned all four years of their high school years here at AHS.

Sophomores Nadia Somers and Anna Iekel, juniors Sarah Mccance and Lydia Joseph, and seniors Ben Parker and Halee Glenn made All-State 2014. Somers made it into the All-State Orchestra with her French horn. Parker and Glenn have auditioned all four years of their high school years here at AHS.

by Paige Anstey

On Oct. 24, 16 students trying out for All-State headed to Harlan to audition cuts from seven pieces in front of judges. Six out of the 16 students made it in, and will now be joining other All-Staters from around the state of Iowa to perform at an honor concert in Ames on Nov. 22. They will perform the same pieces from their auditions.

Atlantic High School students who were accepted include: seniors Ben Parker and Halee Glenn, juniors Sarah McCance and Lydia Joseph, and sophomore Anna Iekel. Sophomore Nadia Somers was also accepted to the All-State Orchestra with her French horn audition.

Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 8.39.40 AM

Glenn, who has auditioned all 4 years of high school, has been recalled every time she has auditioned. If you are chosen to be recalled, you perform in front of the judges again, but sing the same songs by yourself. Glenn said the students who chose to audition had been preparing since August.

Joseph said she auditioned for All-State because 2014 graduate Hannah Jespersen told her to, and now she is happy that she auditioned. Joseph prepared for her audition by practicing the music a lot.

Glenn is glad that All-State is over because she now has more free time, but is also sad because it was her “last year to experience the process.” She said her favorite part of the All-State season was singing in small groups and following the memorization of everyone’s parts.

When a student is accepted, their name is posted on a large poster-size list. These lists were hung on the walls of the Harlan High School gymnasium as groups of anxious students waited for the results. Joseph said, “They posted the outright lists all at once so there was just a lot of screaming, and I got hugged by a lot of people. It was an incredible experience to make it in though.”

“I’ve always enjoyed it,” said Glenn.