Senior Plans After Graduation

Tori Phippen

by Tori Phippen

Atlantic High School held a college fair on Sept. 23. The purpose of the college fair is to help the seniors and underclassmen look at all the different colleges that are in Iowa.

Senior Kerran McFadden stated that he wants to attend Northwest Iowa Community College. Senior Andrea Beadle said, “ I want to go to UNI. If I can’t get into that college, I would like to go to DMACC.” Senior Tevin Krause-Larsen wants to attend Iowa Western Community College, and senior Brie Steffens would like to attend Iowa State University.

McFadden stated that for his career after high school, he would like to be a power linemen. Beadle said, “I’m not sure exactly what career I will have after high school, but I do know one thing: I will be in a career that helps people.” Krause-Larsen said, “I’m going to stay working on the farm after high school.” Steffens stated that for her career after high school she would like to be teaching secondary education.

McFadden does not know where he will be living after high school yet. Beadle said, “ I will hopefully be living in my own apartment or a house after college, but while I’m at college I want to live in a dorm.” Krause-Larsen said, “Somewhere close to college.” Steffens stated that she will be living on the college campus.

McFadden has started saving money, and “his parents might help and hopefully get some scholarships to help pay for college.” Steffens said, “Scholarships, student loans, and help from my parents.”

Krause-Larsen stated that he is going to use the money that he gets from working on the farm to help pay for college. Beadle said, “Since I have basically been in foster care since I was two until I turned eighteen, I have completed the foster care program. I can have the state pay for my college. However, I’m really thinking about just paying for my college by myself. I really don’t want to have the state pay for everything because the state should be using the money for people that need food.”