Art Portfolio: Hunter Oliver

Sophomore Hunter Oliver displays some of his art. The Sugar Skull on the top-right is a design Oliver drew for his mother’s tattoo.

by Victoria Krogh

Every person has their own special passion: whether it is a sport, an instrument, or a random, one-of-a-kind hobby. Sophomore Hunter Oliver can be seen expressing his passion of drawing in our high school.

Oliver’s whole interest in art began with his father, who is an artist. “I got that gene from him,” he said. Oliver took that gene and enjoyed grade school art with his favorite teacher Martha Hatfield. She taught him to express himself through art, and Oliver still pays her visits to show her his work and progress from time to time.

Like most artists, this AHS sophomore specializes in one category: drawing. Oliver does not paint or take pictures, but draws mostly people or the occasional animal. He enjoys drawing more of a cartoon-style person, and mostly goes off of requests. “In seventh and eighth grade, I had a list of people who wanted me to draw them,” he said. Oliver fulfilled many of those requests, and has more recently completed a Marilyn Monroe tattoo and the sketch of his mother’s Sugar Skull tattoo.

With art, there are quite a few options for future work. But this artist has a straightforward idea set for himself. “I have always wanted to work for Disney,” Oliver said. According to him, there is an “internship at Disney that I can do right after high school.” If the Disney plan doesn’t work out, he would like to find work with DC Comics. For now, Oliver plans to contribute a comic strip for AHSneedle.