Knights rule court

By Anthony Robinson

The Atlantic Trojans boys basketball team hosted the Kuemper Catholic Knights Friday, Dec. 10, at AHS.  The Trojans were defeated by the Knights 64-40.

With the loss the Trojans fell to 1-4 on the season and 0-2 in the Hawkeye 10 conference.

Throughout the first quarter the Trojans and Knights matched each other basket for basket.  The Trojans led after the first 15-14.  During the first quarter sophomore point guard Chad Christensen hit the Trojans only three-point field goal of the night.  Christensen led the Trojans with 11 points in the game.

The Knights jumped out on a 14-4 run to begin the second quarter, forcing coach Steve Blazek to call a timeout.   The Trojans were able to get to the free throw line in the first half, but ended the half with seven missed free throws.  The Knights led by seven points 32-25 heading to the break.  Senior forward Derek Tjepkes said, “Coach said if we would have made our free throws, we could have easily had the lead at the half.”

Carroll Kuemper forward Matthew Berg led the Knights with 15 points in the first half, but saw limited action in the second half after picking up his third foul early in the third.  Despite the absence of their leading scorer, Kuemper was able to build their lead at the end of the third to twelve points: 47-35.  The Trojans had 10 fouls in the third quarter.

The Knights were in the double bonus at the start of the fourth quarter.  The Knights were headed to the free throw line after every Trojan foul, for two shots.  The Knights managed to hit their free throws down the stretch, finishing 16 for 25 from the charity stripe.   The Trojans finished 7 for 15 from the line.  The Knights kept extending their lead the entire fourth quarter, building their largest lead of 24 (64-40).

The Trojans shot only 36% (16-44) from the field.

The Trojans travel to Clarinda Tuesday for a non-conference game against the 2-2 Cardinals.