Swimmers Open First AHS Season

A girls swim team has been added as an opportunity for school activities.

Savannah Sorensen and Justice Parker

by Savannah Sorensen and Justice Parker

A process that took approximately a year and a half is finally in action here at Atlantic High School. As of the 2014-2015 school year, a girls swim team has been added as an opportunity for school activities. Meeting the requirement of ten athletes, the team consists of 13 swimmers.

Athletic director Matt Alexander said, the idea “was initially brought to the school board by parents who were interested in seeing a team compete through the school.” The school board approved adding swim team about a year ago. “It was a delayed process due to add-ons last year such as archery,” said Alexander.

Junior Erin Olsen is one of the new team members. She said, “It’s cool that we have more opportunities.”

“It’s taken a good year to plan and prepare for it,” said Alexander. The season will consist of five meets with no home meets.

“I think it’s great to have options to participate in. Biggest thing is having more opportunities for students,” said Alexander.

Head coach Dean Junker said, “High school girls are fun to work with. All of them are very hard workers and are making a huge commitment to a sport that is brand new at Atlantic High School.” Junker has been the head swim team coach at the local YMCA for several years but “the exact number escapes” him.

Freshman Mycala Kickland is excited for the season, having swim team as a school activity and not through the YMCA.

Expectations Junker has for the season include building the program. “We only have 13 girls swimming right now so it is hard to compete with the numbers that other teams have. Our end-of-the-year goal is to have as many girls compete at the state meet as possible and do the best we can,” said Junker. Goals that the athletes have for the season include building a program and going to state.

Looking into the future, the school board passed this as a three-year contract. With the requirement of ten athletes to have a team, if the number falls below ten after the contracts expires, than AHS will no longer have a girls swim team. Junker said, “Next year we will bring in a group that will help our numbers increase and make us more competitive statewide.”

The first competition is on Thurs, Sept. 18 at Abraham Lincoln High School in Council Bluffs beginning at 5 p.m.