Four Students Qualify for Individual All-State Speech

By Emily Yager

Four students qualified for All-State Speech in individual events. Juniors Brecklyn Carey and Hannah McLean, and sophomore Lydia Joseph are performing, and senior Logan Hemphill is non-performing. Results were posted Monday, March 17, and All-State took place on Monday, March 31.

They earned their All-State spots by receiving at least two Is (of a possible three) in addition to being nominated by at least two judges at state. Carey, McLean, and Joseph earned straight Is, and Hemphill earned two Is. Carey made it in original oratory, McLean in literature program, and Joseph and Hemphill in prose.

McLean said, “I was very excited when I found out, and the first thing I did was call Lydia and Brecklyn to celebrate with them over the phone.” Hemphill said he attacked Joseph on the bus to Chicago. McLean said her favorite part of All-State was getting to see the other amazing performers who also earned this honor.

Speech coach Matthew Smith said, “We’ve only ever sent one person to All-State for the past eight years. So we have quadrupled our all-state participation.” The last student was 2013 graduate Caroline Trewet. She made it four times.

20 students perform at All-State for each event, and an unlimited number of students can make all-state as a non-performing member. The difference between this All-State and the previous one is the last was large group, while this is individual. Check out the story on the large group all-state here.