Girls Track Kicks Off at Pella

Girls Track Kicks Off at Pella

By Savannah Sorensen

On Saturday, March 22, the girls track team traveled to Pella, IA to compete in the 2014 Central College Indoor Track Meet. With a 200 meter track, there was no team scoring and it was meant to be a ‘competitive practice’.

Two girls placed in the top ten, sophomore Tiffany Williams and freshman Stephanie Sandbothe. Williams placed sixth in the 3000 meter run with a time of 11:49.45 and Sandbothe placed ninth in high jump exceeding up to 4’8”.

Juniors Karly Monson and Savannah Sorensen also competed in the 3000 meter run finishing in 13th and 14th place. There were six entries for the Trojans in the 55 meter dash and six entries in the 55 meter hurdles. The girls also had a variety of 4×800, 4×200 and 4×400 meter relay teams. There were three entries in the 400 meter dash including freshman Abby Staley, Alexis Brockman and Anna Iekel. There were also four entries in the 200 meter dash and two entries in the 800 meter run.

On the throwing side, senior Tetta Askeland finished in 23rd place with a throw of 29’11”. Others who competed in the shot put included juniors Macey Schmitt, Kate Fulk, and Taylor Berns, and freshmen Nadia Somers and Anna Iekel.

Head coach Paul Iekel said, “It was a good start and we had good times. I feel like we could still get times down further but it was a good day of competition.”

According to Iekel, some key highlights were decent places in the two mile, “Tetta in shot put, she almost beat her PR (personal record)”, the high jump was a ‘good mark’, “Lexi’s anchor in the 4×400 meter relay, she ate that girl up!”, and lastly senior Kristin Johnk broke eight seconds in the 55 meter dash. Johnk placed 44th with a time of 7.94 seconds in the event.

Freshman Olivia Davis said, “I thought it went pretty good. I feel could have done better but I gave it my best.” Davis also said, “I was nervous but it turned out to be fun!”

The Trojans girls track team is back in action on Tuesday, April 1 in Denison competing against the north division of the Hawkeye Ten beginning at 4:30.