Archers Compete at State!

By Matt Smith

On March 1, 2014 two Atlantic High School kids headed to Des Moines for State Archery at Vets Auditorium. The members who competed were Senior Cal Heuton and Sophomore Logan Holzapfel.

Heuton said archery was worth joining and that others should do it because it’s a lot of fun. Heuton’s said his highlight of the year was “going to State Archery.”  Heuton’s reason for joining was because he “had nothing else better to do and Coach Williams said he should try it.” Heuton is unsure if they will move on to the National competition. Heuton’s personal best was 266.

Holzapfel said “It was worth joining” and said “she would tell everyone to do, it’s great way to get out and support our school and have fun.” Holzapfel’s highlight of the year was “making new friends that have the same interest as me.” The reason she joined was becuase she had been doing it for 6 years and wanted to continue with the sport. Holzapfel also talked about State Archery she said, “I didn’t do good at state but it was a great experience.” Holzapfel personal best was 274.

At State Archery they were able to shoot three rounds with five arrows in each around. They shoot at two different distances, ten meters and fifteen meters. Hueton estimated around 800 archers in the High School Boys Division. Holzapfel was unsure how many competed in her division.

That is the end to Archery this season and will be picked back up next year in the 2014-2015 winter season.