Swimming and Bowling Possibly Postponed

Swimming and Bowling Possibly Postponed

By Karly Monson

At the Atlantic School Board meeting on Monday, March 3, it was announced that several budget cuts will be made in 2015, including possibly postponing the start of swimming and bowling activities for one year.  This is of importance to Atlantic High School students since the 2014-2015 school year was the first year to have these activities offered.

In the past, Atlantic High School students who have wanted to participate in swimming as a sport had to drive to Lewis Central to be a part of their swim team.  Parents and students in the district fought for Atlantic to accept swimming as a sport, and it was passed earlier this school year.  Bowling was also passed during this time.  These two new activities do not have coaches hired for the position, though.

Atlantic athletic director Matt Alexander said that it is a possibility the two activities may be postponed a year due to some recent budget discussions that have taken place.  Alexander hasn’t heard any complaints about these activities being postponed.  However, he doesn’t think it is widespread knowledge that it may happen, also thinking it’s just getting out there that this is one of the things being discussed.  When asked about when it will be known for sure if these activities will be cut or not, Alexander said, “Well that is up to the school board, and I can’t vouch for how fast they’re going to act on things when it comes to budget decisions.  But I would hope to know something by the end of March.”

Not many students have shown interest in participating in bowling, so it is uncertain if comments will be made about that, but swimming is a different situation.  Junior Brie Steffens said, “I’m really disappointed because I won’t be able to be a part of Atlantic’s first year of swim team since I will be a senior next year and it won’t be offered for me.”  Freshman Madelyn Kickland said she’s frustrated about it but is going to keep working hard.

Hopefully by the end of March the AHS administration will know if bowling and swimming will be postponed or not.

Screen Shot 2014-03-13 at 8.04.53 AM
Brie Steffens is an active member of the Atlantic YMCA Flying Sharks swim team. She will be a senior next year and won’t be able to participate in Atlantic’s first year of having a swim team, which she is sad about.