Schwenke Brings State Title Home; Trojan Wrestlers Place 8th

Senior+Darrian+Schwenke+head-to-head+with+Clarindas+ranked+senior+Blake+Luna.+This+was+the+second+time+the+two+wrestlers+have+met+this+season.+Schwenke+went+on+two+defeat+Luna+11-2.+
Senior Darrian Schwenke head-to-head with Clarinda’s ranked senior Blake Luna. This was the second time the two wrestlers have met this season. Schwenke went on two defeat Luna 11-2.

By Savannah Sorensen and Laeni Pelzer

Last Saturday, AHS senior wrestler Darrian Schwenke brought home the first state gold medal in more than a decade. With seniors Dillion Cox and Tyler Christensen also collecting hardware, and senior Jez Phippen and freshman Carter Cox rounding out the five Trojans competing at the state’s highest competition, the Trojans took 8th place in the 2A division in a field of more than 70 teams.

The Iowa High School Athletic Association’s State Wrestling Tournament is said to be the biggest high school wrestling  event in not only the state of Iowa, but in the nation. The last few years, Saturday night’s championships have been sold out, with only a limited supply of tickets left before the tournament even begins. Everyone crowded in Wells Fargo Arena Feb. 22 to watch two individuals in each weight class compete for a spot on the top of the podium, gold hanging around their neck, and their face on the big screen.

The Trojans had five individuals competing, including seniors Dillion Cox, Darrian Schwenke, Tyler Christensen and Jez Phippen; and freshman Carter Cox. Two medalists and one state champion later, the five-man team placed eighth as a team, placing better than rival Creston/O-M. Head coach Tim Duff said, “(We had) the best finish of any Hawkeye 10 school, so it was nice to finally beat Creston. We have been chasing them all year, and to place higher at the state tournament was a great feeling.”

Schwenke not only earned the state title in the 126-pound weight class, but also became the first state champion since Duff came to the program. Duff said, “Always exciting to hang that gold medal around a young man’s neck. To see their expression when they know all of their hard work has paid off is what it is all about as a coach. Darrian is the first state champ I have had in Atlantic, and the third in my career, and it is always special.” Schwenke said, “ It’s a feeling of having your goals finally accomplished. A goal I’ve been dreaming of since I was little. I plan on going to UNL to wrestle.” Schwenke’s advice to the younger wrestlers is “Don’t let anything stop you from achieving your dreams. You can do what you put your mind to.”

Dillion Cox finished in third place at the tournament. He was one match away from competing in the state finals when he lost 0-2 to Assumption-Davenport’s Brendan Gould. Cox said, “Should’ve drove through on the shot instead of cracking down.” Dillion’s goal and focus was to be at the top of the podium. Duff said, “Dillion was disappointed that he did not reach the top spot on the awards stand, but it does not diminish all of his hard work and dedication. Third place is a tremendous finish, but kind of bittersweet for him.” Cox added, “I went out there with no expectation but to be the best. Being good just wasn’t good enough.”

Christensen’s goal from the beginning of the season was to finish in the top four in his weight class at state. He did just that, an emotional and dramatic tournament for him, but he achieved what he wanted. He went as far as the semi-finals where he was defeated in ultimate overtime 8-9. Christensen finished in fourth place.  He said, “It was an unforgettable experience and an honor to be able to walk in the grand march with some of the best, finishing in the the top four my senior year, coming this far beginning my freshman year.”

While the tournament is over, the memories will linger with Christensen. “I was thirty seconds from being a state finalist, and that will haunt me forever.”