Guest Essay- Nursing School

By Behka Koontz

As a first year nursing student, I realize there is a lot of things I wish I would’ve learned into high school to prepare me for these courses and life as a nurse in training.  I am currently attending DMACC which is a very well respected school for an associate degree in nursing.  That being said, the actual start of the nursing program was a rude awakening.

Critical Thinking
Take classes that push your limits.  In the nursing program you are going to have to memorize endless amounts of diagnostic data which is difficult in itself but you are going to have to also learn to answer questions about this data in not so direct terms.  You may have to learn about Osteoporosis but in the testing you may be asked which of the four options would be best form of dietary calcium for a person who does not enjoy drinking milk.  This is where only knowing basic knowledge without any critical thinking skills would not be helpful.  So take classes that are difficult and require critical thinking such as college level A&P (which will probably help you with prerequisites anyway).  Push yourself academically, it will definitely pay off.  Again and again I would recommend Mr. Wiley’s AP classes.  They may not be on the subject of nursing but they do help you develop critical thinking which in an invaluable skill in the nursing program.
Perfectionism
In high school, it is very easy to get in the habit of accepting nothing less than a 95%.  I often found myself stressing over high 90%.  While it’s great to hold yourself to high standards, in the nursing program this trait can drive you nuts.  You have to remember that not every subject you test over is going to be your strongest subjects.  In my program, anything less than a 78% is failing.  However, I would recommend you don’t stress over one 78% test.  This stress will more than likely carry over to your next test and effect you negatively.  Once you receive a grade that is low, assess what is causing this grade and implement interventions (part of the nursing process you will learn within weeks of starting the program).  It helps to do the math of it all and realize while that test was important, it’s not that huge of a percent of your grade and you can come back from it.  Don’t stress, just focus on how you are going to do better.
Deadlines
If you thought teachers foster independence and accountability in high school, you have no idea what the nursing program will be like.  No one is going to tell you when the deadline for your online classes are, no one is going to give you an extension on daily work (usually), no one is going to let you copy their work last minute (or ever).  In my program specifically, there is absolutely no accepted late daily work, you just receive a zero.  On projects, you may be given a week but you are automatically deducted 10%.  You have to be diligent, keep a calendar to organize your stressed out brain.  It’s so easy to miss something so write down things in your calendar as you learn of them.  It will lower your stress levels and allow you to plan your days accordingly.
Doing the Work
If there is one thing I can stress about nursing school this is it, do your work.  With this, I want to emphasize doing your own homework.  Don’t try to cheat in any way.  They will find out.  Whether you take assignments from past nursing students or you copy that of your classmates they always figure it out.  At DMACC, they have implemented a new software that scans your work for plagiarism against all major nursing websites so don’t even try it.  If you ever feel tempted think about this, would you want a nurse who cheated her way through college to take care of your mom?
Professionalism
I can’t speak for other colleges but at DMACC professionalism is very important.  Included in this is dress code.  When you start they tell you a plethora of things you have to wear to clinicals including things as specific as white socks that completely cover your ankle.  We do have instructors who have sent students home for things as simple as that.  If you are not organized and forget to bring your stethoscope, you might as well count on being dismissed.  When you are sent home from clinicals, you must make that time up so it’s not an easy way out of work.  The most important thing I can stress here is to watch what you post on social media.  If you like to go out on the weekends (you probably won’t have time) that’s fine but never, I mean never, post yourself in DMACC scrubs or anything signifying DMACC (name badges, etc) doing anything you wouldn’t want your priest to see.  If they find photos like this, you will more than likely be reprimanded if not asked to leave.  Be professional, nurses are highly looked upon professionals.
Self Health
Take care of yourself!  Nursing school is a stressful process and if you aren’t diligent about self health you will find yourself gaining weight quickly.  Make time for not only your physical health but your mental health.  If you’re feeling overwhelmed reach out, there are always resource managers whose only job is to help students succeed.  Use your health resources, join a gym, find a social group which understands your stresses (your nursing student peers are always a good option) and don’t keep stress bottled up.  The last thing you want is a mental breakdown to derail your nursing school success.
Tenacity
I would love to tell you nursing school isn’t as hard as some people make it sound, but it is.  Sometimes this is going to push you to feel like there is no way this is what you want to do, you are going to reevaluate your decision.  That is okay.  You have the right to change your mind.  However, everyone feels this from one time to another in the nursing program.  It is a difficult two years, it’s only natural for your own brain to question your sanity.  When this happens, remind yourself of that moment when you realized you were meant to be a nurse.  Remind yourself why you love serving others.  Pretty soon it will be evident to you that this may be hard but it will pass.
Prerequisites
Many places now have waiting lists for their nursing programs and to get onto these lists or into the programs you must finish classes such as Anatomy, Psychology and Speech classes along with CNA licensing.  Do this as quick as possible.  Get yourself into that program as quick as you can, you won’t regret powering through these classes to get yourself closer to your dream.  However, you will regret dragging your feet because everyone else around you wasn’t motivated either.  As a nurse you are a special breed, you are an ambitious, smart, on the ball type of person.  Don’t let others convince you differently.
Self Confidence
You can do this.  Everyone has a couple breakdowns throughout nursing school but don’t let them stop you.  You ARE smart enough.  You’re going to have clinical instructors that bring you to tears but don’t let it stop you.  You ARE tough enough.  Finally, remember that you deserve to do what makes you happy and that no one can stand in your way.
I hope this helps a little in knowing what you’re getting into.  If ever you need some advice, don’t hesitate to reach out to those who went before you.  We all experience it and we’re all willing to help.  Best of luck!
We’d like to make this in to a feature.  If you know an Atlantic High School Alumni that would like to write a piece, email us here: [email protected]