Snow Days and Late Starts

Snow Days and Late Starts

By Rachelle Wagoner

Snow days and late starts have been a big part of AHS’ schedule the past couple weeks due to snow and frigid temperatures. We interviewed AHS students on what they thought about their altered schedules they’ve been having to accommodate to the past couple weeks.

Sam Renaud: As a senior, I look forward to any chance of blistery cold weather or any chance of snow.  If there’s a late start, I’m not complaining about the extra two hours of sleep I get.  If it snows, I’m hoping for no school so I don’t have to make up the school I miss from working.  I enjoy the snow days, because it’s a free day from school, I don’t have to make them up, and I usually work during them, so I get paid.  I can’t complain about a late start or snow day because there isn’t a negative side to them.

Rachelle Wagoner: I am not a fan of snow days in any way. For a person that gets bored so easily this is not something I look forward to. For seniors it is a blessing because even when we don’t have school they still get out when they are supposed to. But for all the rest of the underclassmen, we have to make them up and add them onto the end of the school year. That leads to cutting into our days of summer. Two hour late starts on the other hand I am very fond of. Being able to sleep in for two extra hours can make your day so much better. I think our administration should wait till morning to see if we really need to cancel school or not because a lot of times when they have canceled school we actually could of had a two hour late start. This is very frustrating on a lot of levels.

Brody Peterson: I love having late starts because I usually don’t get to sleep in so it’s nice being able to sleep in for once.  I also like not having to go to school for a whole day, the late start days go by so quick.  I get to actually eat breakfast in the morning too, which is nice.  I like having snow days because I can go hunting and just relax and take a day off too.

Joey Walker: I like having late starts because I don’t have to wake up so early to get ready.  My drive to school kinda sucks, so I like getting to sleep in instead of having to wake up at the crack of dawn.  Snow days are a blessing to me because I don’t even have to go to school and I can just lay around all day, watch television, and play my playstation.

Logan Steffens: I don’t personally like late starts because it makes the afternoons go by way to slow.  I of course like snow days because it’s a free day and since I’m a senior, I don’t have to make them up.  So bring on the snow.

With winter coming to an end, AHS Needle reporters asked some AHS students what they thought about the snow days, missing school, and the altered schedules they’ve been dealing with.  Most students like having no school and late starts, but there are always exceptions in the student body who don’t care for these days.