Cross Country Coach Resigns

Cross Country Coach Resigns

By Justice Parker

On Wed. Jan. 29, Ashley Mosier, current Washington Elementary kindergarten teacher and former assistant cross country coach, informed her runners that she will be submitting her resignation to Athleltic Director Matt Alexander and the board soon. Rumors began and so she wanted her team to hear it from her personally. The 2013 season was her first year coaching and she really enjoyed the experience.

The reason behind this decision is because she is expecting her first child with husband Lucas Mosier August of this year, which runs into the start of cross country season.

Mosier said that she would still enjoy being a part of the cross country team if they need her words of wisdom. She said, “Please do contact me during the season or let me know how I can personally support you, as I do want to be there even though I will be too huge to run along side you.”

Head coach Paul Iekel was informed a few days before the runners, and the high school received the news on Jan. 29.  Iekel said, “I’m real happy for her and her family, and I’m sure the cross country team feels the same way.  She will be missed, but I’m glad she’ll still be around as much as she can.”

Due to the unexpected, yet joyful, news the cross country team is now short of a coach. As of now, they do not know who will be filling in for Mosier’s position.

Junior Ashleigh Waltz said, “I’m sad she’s resigning but happy for her and she is a great supporter and is easy to get along with and it’s easier having a female coach because they understand us more.”

Junior Zachary Brooks said, “I’m going to miss her because she always gave us candy and a pep talk before we ran.”

Sophomore Jackson Wickman said, “I’ll miss her because I liked her humor and good coaching.”