The Results are in! Dallas Center-Grimes Show Choir Competition

By Brecklyn Carey

This past Saturday, 90 showchoir students rose bright and early and left for the Dallas Center­Grimes Show Choir competition. The two choirs, varsity “Premiere” and junior varsity “Diversity” traveled to compete against other 3A schools for a placing. The two choirs, directed by Ms. Jennifer Gaesser faced difficult competition, and some students had concerns after the final rehearsal on Fri., Jan. 24.

Both choirs rehearsed the day before competition under the watching eyes of Jarrod O’Donnell, the AHS band director, for critique. However, many students didn’t need the comments from the band director to form their own opinions. Premiere member senior Shelby McKinley said, “I feel like we could’ve done a whole lot better because what I saw from the back was some people wouldn’t even try and that’s really what’s killing us.”  She continued,  “People don’t care in practices, and what happens in practices WILL happen in performances. Practice makes permanent.”

Junior Justin Somers is also in Premiere, and while discussing the competition placings he stated, “We are going to do alright I feel like, probably a bit better than last year.”

Diversity member sophomore Corgan Peterserson stated, “(Friday) was not one of our best rehearsals, it could’ve gone better. I feel like (DCG) should go good if we give it our all, and everyone’s on task.” Gaesser was excited for the competition, believing, “I think Premiere and Diversity are both going to do a very very great job, both groups have been working hard and I push them hard, and I know I do, but. I think that that’s a good thing cause if we didn’t push, we wouldn’t always get better. I think they’re both going to do very well.” Gaesser and the students came up with the motto “#BeatPella” as motivation to perform their absolute best while on stage.

At the competition, the choirs performed to the best of their ability. Diversity was the first to perform, featuring the songs. “Life is a Highway”, “Takin’ Care of Business”, “I Can’t Fight This Feeling”, “Run the World,” and “Rockin’ the Paradise” with soloists Kasie Brooks and Alex Williams. Peterson was not available for comment. Diversity recieved 3rd place out of 3.

Premiere stepped out on the stage 5 hours later, performing the songs, “Into the Night,” “The Letter,” “Your Song,” “Bad Case of Lovin’ You,” “Heartbreaker,” and “Fight for Love Melody.” Soloists included Zach Brooks and Sierra Smith in “Your Song,” Breanna Kixmiller in “Heartbreaker,” and Preston Hoye and Hannah Jesperson in “Fight for Love Melody.”

Somers responded, “We did alright, we had a lot more energy than normal, I think, but there were a lot more mistakes because we were at a competition. We just need to clean more.” after the performance. McKinely responded, “I think we did pretty well, but there are things that we need to improve on! Our movements need to be sharper, and our faces brighter! We have to have energy or the judges get bored. This was our first competition of the year so I kinda expected it. Hopefully at our next competition we get our stuff together and get even closer as a team! #beatpella!” Premiere received 5th place out of five at the competition. However, Pella came in 4th place, so the choir motto has since changed to “#(Almost)BeatPella.” Gaesser was not available for comment on the shows performance.

Both groups performed again Mon., Jan. 3 at the State Show Choir being hosted in Atlantic.