We’ve Got Spirit, Yes We Do

By Karly Monson and Rachelle Wagoner

Trojan basketball is already halfway through their seasons, with a large number of the AHS student body attending the basketball games to root on their classmates. In the past, the Atlantic student section has been looked down upon by other schools for their lack of sportsmanship, including Todd Jacobson, a coach in Creston, IA, who tweeted about the AHS student section last year saying, “‘You are ugly’ chant from the Atlantic student section. You know…..there’s cheering for your team and then there’s Atlantic #stayclassy”.

Many students do not participate in these chants to be negative and offensive, but do it as a way to get involved in the game. Faculty has hammered down on the AHS student section this year, though, by not allowing negative chants throughout the game, including offensive chants or turning around when the away team is being announced.

This has caused some students to not enjoy the basketball games as much. As enjoyment dwindles, so does participation.  Some students are no longer standing up for the school song or cheering along with the cheerleaders. Some are no longer attending games at all.

IHSAA RULES ON CROWD CONDUCT
Students may find that when principal Heather McKay, athletic director Matt Alexander, or other faculty members hush their chants it is annoying and not necessary.  However, a bit of research reveals it is part of their job to do so. The Iowa High School Athletic Association rules on spectators state that chants and cheers directed at the opponent can cause a penalty, and can even lead to an ejection from the game. Also “disrespectful conduct, including profanity, obscene gestures or comments, offensive remarks of a sexual nature, or other actions that demean individuals or the event” can lead to a penalty or ejection from the game.

When McKay and Alexander do not allow these things to be said, it is not because they are trying to make the game not fun, but it is part of their job to do so, even though in the end it does prevent the student section from having fun.

TUNNEL CONFUSION
After the win against St. Albert’s by two points with only two seconds left on the clock, the student section stormed onto the court to make a tunnel for the team to run through. As the students were making the tunnel, Alexander stopped the tunnel effort and told students to go home. A lot of the students were confused on why he wouldn’t let us celebrate the win. AHSNeedle interviewed Alexander on this situation, and his reasoning was because according to IHSAA rules, no person except players, coaches, and refs are allowed to be on the court. This rule still confuses AHS students though because with the past athletic director, students had been allowed to make tunnels after a basketball team victory.

STUDENTS’ THOUGHTS
Students enjoy attending basketball games and getting involved with the fun chants they come up with when playing different schools in the Hawkeye 10. Junior Collin Baker was asked about how he feels about the faculty being so strict and limiting what the students can do in the student section and he said, “I hate it. Sports are meant to be competitive. If someone messes up from the other team, you let them know. I understand singling them out being off limits, but I don’t see the problem with yelling ‘airball’ and stuff like that. That’s just how all high school sports are. All sports in general, actually.” Junior and basketball point guard Joey Walker believes that if having the student section do what they have to do to get involved in the game, it could possibly help the basketball team get pumped up for their game.

The student section has shown their spirit this year at games though, even though it is  limited on what it can do. Students participated in “Silent Night,” when the student section stayed completely silent until the boys’ basketball team scored 10 points in the game. Once the tenth point was scored, the student section erupted with cheers and screaming for the team.

Last week AHSfuel organized two events to pump up the crowd, including a duck-throw for prizes during half-time of the girls game on Friday, Jan. 24. Creative ways to involve the crowd within IHSSA guidelines are always welcome.  What will the AHS student section think of next?