Show Choir and Jazz Band to Perform Tonight

By Brecklyn Carey and Turner Russell

Atlantic High School will be hosting the annual Swing Inn music concert this Thursday, Jan. 16. The concert will feature performances from both of Atlantic High Schools’ show choirs, and a performance from the jazz bands. The purpose of the event is to debut the show choirs and the jazz band by demonstrating their competition sets for the season, alongside a performance from Jazz II.

Both choir and band members, as well as their directors, have been preparing for this concert for a significant amount of time. Choir director Jennifer Gaesser said she thinks her students are prepared and also elaborated by saying, “We have been working since the end of July on dancing, and we have been singing since August.” Both show choirs will be traveling to Dallas Center Grimes on Jan. 25 to compete against other schools for a placing; the JV Diversity choir will compete against two other schools and the Varsity Premiere choir will compete against four schools.

While many of the students are either in show choir or band, there are several who are in both. Freshman Anna Iekel commented that performing for both band and choir “definitely makes it more time consuming. It’s something that I enjoy.”  On the other side of things, Ikel elaborated that she thinks playing in the “pit” for the varsity show choir will be challenging. She said, “Personally, I haven’t practiced with the show choir yet.” Jazz I member junior Justin Somers explained his feelings about the jazz band performance: “It should hopefully be alright, I’m just worried about the improv solos.We have a contest at Abraham Lincoln this Saturday, and then another contest the first weekend in February.”

Something new that many of the show choir students are excited about this season is getting to show off new outfits. Junior Hannah McLean described the new outfits as having “a good color,” also saying “They look flattering on a variety of people.” McLean also commented on the outfits saying she does wish they “weren’t so itchy” but also added that “most show choir outfits are.”

Gaesser said, “I think it’s a great opportunity for students to show off their show and get their nerves out before competition, and I hope everyone will come to support the choir and jazz band.”

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 2.48.58 PM Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 2.41.57 PM Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 2.40.48 PM