AHS WiFi Shut Down

AHS WiFi Shut Down

By Mollee Welter & Justice Parker

Upon arriving to school after break, many students tried to connect to the “ACS” wifi. After failed attempts to reconnect, many began to wonder what the issue was and if the wifi was down for the entire school. When senior Tye Nielsen questioned the wifi, he emailed tech administrator, Roger Warne for some answers. Warne said the wifi is working perfectly. However, Android and Apple devices were blocked from using the wifi because, “Most, if not all, personal devices create a drag on the network that is not school related and all smartphones have to have some type of data plan to work so they can still hook to their 3G or 4G networks.”

With the smart phones causing a drag, would the possibility of each student being provided with a laptop next year also cause a drag on the network? Warne said, “Right now they are just considering the one to one option and that nothing is certain yet, however, I am pushing for it and if we were to get it I would have to make sure that we have enough bandwidth to withstand all of the devices being used.”

The chances of the wifi being accessed by students this year, or even next year, is “slim to none” commented Warne.

Junior Kyle Krueger commented on the issue saying, “It’s extremely inconvenient because I have to use a lot of 3G.”

Freshman Sarah Fixmer commented, “I don’t like it because I use a lot more data and it gets really expensive.”

Freshman Kylie Champlin said, “It doesn’t make sense because it just makes people mad.”

Spanish teacher, Daniel Vargason said, “I think it’s good because I have a lot less students using their phones in my class. But, I have to turn my phone on to airplane mode or else my phone is dead by the end of the day, which means I can’t receive calls/texts during school.”

Although Warne has justified reasons why we shouldn’t have the wifi available to students/faculty members on our personal devices, many are affected by this decision.