Trojan Wrestlers Back At It

By Savannah Sorensen and Laeni Pelzer

On Thursday, Jan. 9, the varsity and JV wrestling squads traveled to Coon-Rapids Bayard to dual against Logan-Magnolia and Coon-Rapids Bayard. Being defeated 36-29 by Lo-Ma, the Trojans came back to defeat Coon-Rapids 51-22.

Seniors Tyler Christensen (220) and Darrian Schwenke (126) both got pins against Lo-Ma, along with seniors Dillion Cox (120) and Jacob Johnson (160) and junior Reid Nichols (145) all winning by decision.

With a dramatic end to freshman Zac Stork’s overtime loss in the Lo-Ma dual, he says, “My conditioning didn’t help, it was an OT loss that shouldn’t have been a loss. I could’ve done a little more. I fought hard and liked the competition.”

The end of the dual against Lo-Ma came down to the 182 pound weight class as the Trojans were behind by one point. Junior Travis Petersen wrestles at this weight class and ended up losing by fall in the second period. When asked what his thoughts were after the match he said, “My first thought was ‘what could I have done to make it different’ and I felt really disappointed in myself. I really wanted to be able to make my team proud.”

Seniors Jez Phippen (285), Cox (120), and Schwenke (126),Petersen (182) and Stork (152) received pins against CRB.

Head coach Tim Duff comments, “Moved our dual record to 12-7 going one and one on Thursday in dual competition against Coon Rapids and Logan Magnolia.  Had a nice win over Coon Rapids.  Dillion Cox had a nice win over a tough opponent in the dual.  Against Logan we came up just a little short 29-36.  We lost the dual on bonus points, giving up 3 falls (pins).  We have to continue to fight and not give up pins.  That is the third dual we have lost this year that has come down to the last match, we have to find a way to finish out the close matches.”

The JV squad got a few matches in between duals. Sophomore Tanner Mauk (132) was the only wrestler to come out with a win. Other wrestlers included freshmen Nate Moen (182) and  Colby Sorensen (132), and sophomore Clayton West (170).

This is Moen’s first year in wrestling and when asked if he feels as if he’s improving he says, “Yes, it’s my first year and I’m definitely learning a lot. It’s harder than I thought.” He also said that he didn’t wrestle as good on Thursday and he could’ve done better.