Jazz Band Kicks Off

Jazz Band Swings In

By Justin Somers and Mark Stinn

The Atlantic High School Jazz Band is starting to develop.  The band includes four trumpets, four trombones, six saxophones, and eight rhythm section members.  The songs the band are playing are Samba Para Agua Azules, an upbeat latin jazz piece, Without a Trace, a slow harmonious ballad featuring Present Hoye on the saxaphone, and Sneakers, a loud and nasty swing song.

Senior Nick Crews said, “I like the different types of music… the music is just fun to play.”  Senior Jessica Askeland said, “I don’t like how long it is, 2 hours is really long, but I do enjoy having another activity with friends.”

The jazz band normally meets on Mondays and Thursdays from 4-5:30 in the auditorium.  During the time they work on the various songs while practice improv solos, and various techniques to improve their jazz skills.  Crews said “It’s a lot of work to learn the music especially with all the solis the saxophones have.”

Students were selected for the band when they signed up. They were then placed based off their experience and skills.  For students wanting to get involved in jazz band, they would need to a part of band.  First-year jazz band member, Logan Hemphill said, “It’s a great experience. It’s helped me learn my instrument a lot quicker than if I didn’t do it and I’ve improved a lot more than I thought I was going. You should do it!”

The Jazz band’s first performance will be at the Swing-Inn concert on January 16, starting at 7:30.  The concert will include the Jazz Band and Show Choirs.  On January 18, the Jazz Band will perform at it’s first competition at the Council Bluffs Jazz Festival at Abraham Lincoln.

Jazz Band Roster

Trumpets:  Mark Stinn, Nadia Somers, Paige Sorenson, Justin Somers

Trombones:  Josh McClean, Jessica Askeland, Seth Schulte, Morgan Munsey

Saxophones:  Nick Crews, Emily Yager, Logan Hemphill, Katie Darrow, Preston Hoye, Ben Parker

Rhythm Section: Corgan Peterson, Valerie Watson, Jake Arneson, Breanna Kixmiller